PIP, DLA and the disabled

They don't sit at home; they go down the pub or work in their allotment, that’s when they aren't on holiday.:) I just changed what I do for a living when I put my back out.

And with any luck you'll too may find yourself disabled one day then you can spend all the day in the pub, it will be an improvement from living in cuckoo land wont it? :|

If you can keep on doing what you were doing before then with great respect your back problem isn't that severe.

Imagine pain so bad that you pass out when you try to do things, then add in numbness, pins and needles and muscle spasm and you'll be approaching the sort of pain that I and many people who have chronic degenerative back conditions have on a daily basis.

The number of people who tell me that they don't agree with taking medication and that they would never consider taking pills every day really stuns me. If they had been in the sort of pain where they have considered suicide just to make the pain stop then they would understand that the reason they have never considered taking pills is because they have never had an illness or pain serious enough which would make taking pills the natural thing to do.

I've got a prolapse disc and it gives me pains down my leg like my pants are on fire sometimes,I've tried all sorts of pain tablets they make feel sort of out of it, I'm very tall and I have to bend down a lot and that sets my back off,I just have to keep going and moving or I feel worse.

And with any luck you'll too may find yourself disabled one day then you can spend all the day in the pub, it will be an improvement from living in cuckoo land wont it? :|

Why do you have to be like that? There are people who are genuinely ill and deserve the help and there are people who are genuinely taking the michael. I can't understand why you need to wish ill health on the man for stating the truth that some people do abuse the system and sit in the pub.

Judging every person with a disability as though they are swinging the lead is exactly why I felt the need to justify myself as I did earlier in the thread.

Of course I'd rather lie in a recliner and watch everybody else living a full life and having enough money to not have to save up for every small thing they need to buy if I had the choice- why not?

The comments you make devalue every person with a disability.

I'm not judging them all, but the ones swinging the lead make it much more difficult for the ones that aren’t and every time on this forum DLA is mentioned the same people defend everyone that is claiming it when clearly everyone that is claiming it doesn’t deserve it.

I've got a prolapse disc and it gives me pains down my leg like my pants are on fire sometimes,I've tried all sorts of pain tablets they make feel sort of out of it, I'm very tall and I have to bend down a lot and that sets my back off,I just have to keep going and moving or I feel worse.

As I said, you may be able to work through your back problems, but those of us who have greater nerve damage or a more extensive problem often just do not have that choice.

I can't sit up for more than half an hour at a time without my legs going dead and then of course when I try to move around I'm at great risk of missing my footing and falling over. Whilst you have a disc which is prolapsed, I've got 3 which have degraded completely (and so cannot heal or be repaired) and another 2 which are on the way out, which is only part of the problem with my back.

I too am too tall for most of the world, but if it needs me to bend down to reach it then it can stay on the floor until I can pick it up with my stick, because I know that if I bend down I won't be able to get back up again.

BTW- this is not meant to be a 'mine is worse than yours' disability contest. I'm just trying to get you to realise that there are worse problems than a prolapsed disc and some people with a prolapsed disc do better than others and some end up needing extra help with a chronic disability.

The disabled ones don't spend all day in the pub just the ones that claim to be disable but aren’t, you know the ones with a bad back but can dig an allotment or build a wall, the ones that have a disability that requires them to go to the pub to prove they are disabled, that would be the ones that claim to be alcoholics but just like the free money to fund their habit.

Snap I was told to stop work but just changed my occupation, lost weight and started using a tens machine.

I think we all know one don't we there's one near us he has been on benefits for years he is a nice guy and his family are nice people but he has supposed to have had loads of heart problems and been at deaths door loads of times, but you see him in the beer off stocking up on booz and fags and he is a wizz with the horses he is always bragging about winning,I walked down the road with him the other day and I am a fit guy but I had all on to keep up with him.

Archived