PIP, DLA and the disabled

Quote Tony Erikson:You're right it is about cuts. Why are those cuts needed?

Maybe to use the money to wage war on Iran - who knows? All I know is that I read today we are 1trillion in debt now

I heard that too Cressida. We aren't at war with Iran. If we were though does that mean benefit fraud is OK as we're spending lots of money on war?

Why are you just keeping the issue to DLA?

Umm I dunno, perhaps becasue that's what this thread was created to discuss.. not IB/ESA/JSA/HB/* (name your other "abused" benefit}

Other users have stated that the statistics with regards to DLA fraud are somewhat skewed.

No; one person has, and if you read the evidence the statistics are not really that skewed at all, and even if you accepted those statistics as fact, the soon to be implemented cuts are way and above even the highest estimate of fraud for this particular benefit.

I do have a disability actually, I have severe visual impairment. One day I'm sure I will need the benefit system as I have done before. I don't want the benefit system to be destroyed. I want it to target the people who need it.

That's the thing, as has been mentioned here, there, and pretty much anywhere else this discussion about DLA, the disabled and PIP crops up.. most people agree that those who need it are in fact getting it; they certainly won't after this can of worms is pushed through..

You're right it is about cuts. Why are those cuts needed?

Basically because there's global economic instability, and people who don't have any problems resent having to pay more tax to look after those who do!?

I don't need a medical degree to know what’s wrong with someone when they tell people what is wrong with them in the pub, I also don’t need a medical degree to know they are fit for work when I see them working. I don’t need a medical degree to know that someone that claims to be an alcoholic is fit for work when I see them down the allotment working.

So you seeing someone down an allotment a couple of times a week means they are fit for full time work? It doesn't work like that. someone might feel up to getting out and about for a few hours a day to do bits and bobs but it does in no way mean they are ready for full time work.

Like I said earlier, GP's aren't idiots and if they deem someone unfit for work then their word is better than some gvt official who is on a cost cutting mission or dare I say it, your highly informed diagnosis.

I heard that too Cressida. We aren't at war with Iran. If we were though does that mean benefit fraud is OK as we're spending lots of money on war?

Benefit fraud is wrong, but I wonder if the government has plans for the money recouped to use at some time in case of war with Iran - remember William Hague said he wouldn't rule it out

So you seeing someone down an allotment a couple of times a week means they are fit for full time work? It doesn't work like that. someone might feel up to getting out and about for a few hours a day to do bits and bobs but it does in no way mean they are ready for full time work.

Like I said earlier, GP's aren't idiots and if they deem someone unfit for work then their word is better than some gvt official who is on a cost cutting mission or dare I say it, your highly informed diagnosis.

I see them ever day, I know them; I know he is fiddling the system. A doctor can't know if someone as a bad back or is faking; a doctor can't tell if someone is an alcoholic.

Judging every person with a disability as though they are swinging the lead is exactly why I felt the need to justify myself as I did earlier in the thread.

Of course I'd rather lie in a recliner and watch everybody else living a full life and having enough money to not have to save up for every small thing they need to buy if I had the choice- why not?

The comments you make devalue every person with a disability.

Abso-flippin'-lutely! I wish I didn't have a bad back caused by a birth defect in my spine, I wish I didn''t have Asperger's, but I have both of those things, which have to date, and probably always will, impede my search for anything other than voluntary work.

I am aware of people on here's thoughts that if I can do voluntary work, by rights I could and should be in paid work, and I actually agree, but every time I've approached companies I've been told to go away, and don't even get me started on the hassles I had trying to get a job via the Job Centre.

The "gvt official" also happens to be a doctor. Being human, GP's get it wrong.

Oooo, mi back.

I see them ever day, I know them; I know he is fiddling the system. A doctor can't know if someone as a bad back or is faking; a doctor can't tell if someone is an alcoholic.

I don't know, I went to the GP and they were very reluctant to give me any help regarding alcoholism.

but fair enough.

surely you see a difference between working in your own allotment though and working in a 9-5 job.

at your allotment you can go home at any time, you can take breaks when you want, you don't really have to interact with anyone, you go at your own pace, there are no deadlines, there is no pressure... etc. Now I don't know what matey you know is suffereing with, but maybe if it is alcohol and depression the above reasons would be serious barriers to full time work. Maybe to you that just sound like someone who needs to 'sort themselves out', 'get a grip', or any other number of sayings that aren't that practical in real life.

If he has come up to you and laughed about blagging the system to you then I retract my statement but if not you must understand how you appear to the outside world isn't how you feel and are able to operate as a person.

:)

The "gvt official" also happens to be a doctor. Being human, GP's get it wrong.

Oooo, mi back.

They are usually a practicioner nurse who just asks questions, and to be fair they make you feel at ease, however they ask you questions write down the response and don't make any judgements. This then goes higher up the chain to someone who has never met you to then make the decisision.

Archived