PIP, DLA and the disabled

Yes in order to obtain DLA the claimant has to justify themselves to the decsion maker. Not to Mr. My taxes pay your lifestyle.

I can appreciate that there are cheats & thats why there is a dedicated fraud department, that doesn't mean that medusa has to justify her post count on sheffield forum.

What next?? Ohhhhh I know you were born with no arms, but if you can type with a pencil in your mouth, then your available for typing work & you don't need DLA???:loopy::loopy:

Come on people get a grip.

Typing - What year do you think this is?

http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-solution/accessibility/index.htm

Total physical disability hasn't held back Stephen Hawking.

Should we not be finding ways that disabled folk can work and contribute fully to society?

I would Hope that MOST disabled people live a wholesome life & achieve all they are possibly able too. That's the idea of DLA & hopefully pip. That the financial constraints cant hold someone back.

Honestly though some of the things we dont appreciate when we dont understand a disability is unbelievable. I have a profoundly deaf friend & the things I take for granted compared with her is unreal. She cant hear her baby crying when she's hungry. She cant hear a knock on the door or talk to family on the phone. If she gets toothache she can't just pick up the phone & make a dentist appointment. You don't think about the extra efforts needed for just an every day tasks.

I would Hope that MOST disabled people live a wholesome life & achieve all they are possibly able too. That's the idea of DLA & hopefully pip. That the financial constraints cant hold someone back.

Honestly though some of the things we dont appreciate when we dont understand a disability is unbelievable. I have a profoundly deaf friend & the things I take for granted compared with her is unreal. She cant hear her baby crying when she's hungry. She cant hear a knock on the door or talk to family on the phone. If she gets toothache she can't just pick up the phone & make a dentist appointment. You don't think about the extra efforts needed for just an every day tasks.

I agree with you. That's why I think we should concentrate on finding ways for disabled people to lead a fulfilling working life that contributes to society.

It won't apply to everyone (not everyone has Hawking's brain) but I reckon that most disabled people can work, even if it takes a bit of ingenuity.

Profound deafness doesn't even register on my scale of disabilities that would prevent somebody from working. I have worked with two completely deaf chaps who were very senior architects and while it wasn't ideal and they faced challenges (as did those of us who worked with them) it didn't stop them being very good at a job that is all about communication and decision making.

As an aside, I'd also remove childhood ADHD from the list of disabilities that entitled benefits.

I agree but how can he/she manage to feed it and walk it etc etc and give it the time it needs if most of the time he/she has to lay down?

I was jsut wondering if he/she got any help with it ...it must be hard :(

I have a partner who is great and who does walking when I really can't and I have dog who walks perfectly to heel so it's not a problem walking her when I'm using my walking stick. She's also a working breed and the work that I choose for her is to fetch things I throw away, which means that on days when walking is completely beyond me I can just take her to one of a whole selection of local fields and chuck a ball for her if she needs to let off some steam.

Thankfully she learned very early on that no matter how much she wanted to pull forwards, she was never going to be allowed to do it so walking to heel is far more productive :)

Anyway- back on the topic of DLA :)

They cope because what other choice do they have?

Exactly.

I cope because I've tried not coping and that sucks even more.

I realised when I started to enjoy daytime TV that I either had to do something to challenge myself or just let my brain dribble gently out of my ears. There's only so many times that you can rearrange your sock drawer before your existence becomes pointless.

That's one of the reasons that I ended up looking after this place, moderating Freecycle, making hundreds of phone calls on behalf of various animal rescues etc.

What I have yet to do is to find a way of making that sort of thing pay a proper living wage, with my phases of severe pain meaning that there are sometimes 3 or 4 days a week when I can't concentrate on anything and therefore get nothing done (and I can't plan whether that happens once every 6 weeks or 3 weeks in a row).

So if only 1% is being abused, where's the other 19% of cuts to the benefit coming from? The very people who need it the most..

See my post above.

Technically "Fraud" is less than 1%.

But, in addition: ...

Over 10% is being overpaid because of a failure to report changes in circumstances.

Over 6% is being underpaid for similar reasons.

http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd2/dlafraudjuly05.pdf

I realised when I started to enjoy daytime TV that I either had to do something to challenge myself or just let my brain dribble gently out of my ears. There's only so many times that you can rearrange your sock drawer before your existence becomes pointless.

That's one of the reasons that I ended up looking after this place, moderating Freecycle, making hundreds of phone calls on behalf of various animal rescues etc.

What I have yet to do is to find a way of making that sort of thing pay a proper living wage, with my phases of severe pain meaning that there are sometimes 3 or 4 days a week when I can't concentrate on anything and therefore get nothing done (and I can't plan whether that happens once every 6 weeks or 3 weeks in a row).

You're in just the sort of situation that I was referring to above Medusa. You're capable and smart, but need some way of applying that in a way that takes into account your situation. That should be societies responsibility, not just yours, and not used as a cop out for benefits.

Willingness to work doesn't come into it in your case, but decades of institutionalised benefits payments that are unrelated to ones ability to contribute more widely has created a whole class in society that can't see beyond the next DLA payment. Then we have the other group who use DLA as route to fecklessness.

Personally, I think that you should be paid for running SF and generating the income.

Profound deafness doesn't even register on my scale of disabilities that would prevent somebody from working. I have worked with two completely deaf chaps who were very senior architects and while it wasn't ideal and they faced challenges (as did those of us who worked with them) it didn't stop them being very good at a job that is all about communication and decision making.

As an aside, I'd also remove childhood ADHD from the list of disabilities that entitled benefits.

I agree deafness doesnt prevent working, it does make communicating exceedingly hard though which could be very difficult to overcome in many work settings.

I also think there is a very very fine line between genuine behavioural problems which accompanies the likes of autisic spectrum disorders and naughty children (possibly as a result of bad parenting)

Archived