Question about tow balls

Many years ago I had an old trailer that had the old one and a half inch socket and ball fitting, so I upgraded both to the current 50mm standard.

But I do get a feeling it has one of those. The coupling is welded on so will take a little effort to get off.

But I do get a feeling it has one of those. The coupling is welded on so will take a little effort to get off.

Shouldn't be - I've just looked at our really ancient trailer and the socket bit is bolted on. It's just socket that needs replacing not whole thing. Might be easier to change ball bit on car - towsure should have both sizes or nip down to scrapyard and see if they have one on a car

There's some useful information about tow balls here.

Type Approval EC/94/20

Any light passenger vehicle registered in the UK on or after August 1st 1998 ( 'S' Registration ) will require a type approved towbar and towball ( when fitted). Light Commercial Vehicles and Car Derived Vans are not covered by Type Approval.

This legislation will not be retrospective, therefore, any vehicle registered before August 1st 1998 will never require a type approved towbar.

Any vehicle requiring an approved towbar also requires an appropiately approved Towball. 'D' and 'S' values must match or exceed the Towbar 'D' and 'S' values

Type approved towbars and towballs can be identified by the presence of a Type Approval label which must be visible even when the product is fitted to the vehicle.This label will have as the very minimum, the product code, a 'D' value, an 'S' value and a European approval number in the form of e1100-01234. These labels must not be removed or defaced as this will invalidate the manufactuer's warranty and would result in the towbar or towball not being identified as Type Approved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavegirl View Post

Perhaps you could use an angle grinder to take off the excess metal and make it fit if it's just a small amount? Alternatively you could buy a new trailer fitting or tow bar from this site:

http://www.towingandtrailers.co.uk/

Your not being serious, right??

My thoughts exactly, she must be a blonde from Essex.

There's some useful information about tow balls here.

Type Approval EC/94/20

Any light passenger vehicle registered in the UK on or after August 1st 1998 ( 'S' Registration ) will require a type approved towbar and towball ( when fitted). Light Commercial Vehicles and Car Derived Vans are not covered by Type Approval.

This legislation will not be retrospective, therefore, any vehicle registered before August 1st 1998 will never require a type approved towbar.

Any vehicle requiring an approved towbar also requires an appropiately approved Towball. 'D' and 'S' values must match or exceed the Towbar 'D' and 'S' values

Type approved towbars and towballs can be identified by the presence of a Type Approval label which must be visible even when the product is fitted to the vehicle.This label will have as the very minimum, the product code, a 'D' value, an 'S' value and a European approval number in the form of e1100-01234. These labels must not be removed or defaced as this will invalidate the manufactuer's warranty and would result in the towbar or towball not being identified as Type Approved.

New rules on the fitting & fittment of tow bars etc are now included in the m.o.t. test. from late last year.

Archived