Museums Sheffield suffers devastating budget blow

AnneFG

Because they're cheap. It's these people who come in for free, with their own packed lunch, not buying anything from the shop, that bring the museums down.

Do what they do in New York - people queue up to get in and are asked for a donation. They donate, and get a pin badge to wear. If they don't pay they still get let in and get a different colour pin badge, but get a funny look from everyone in the museum who can see they did not pay.

That really isn't very nice (note to self: avoid museums in NY). In Canada which is more civilised than the USA they have donation boxes and I for one have always been happy to donate AFTER I have seen the exhibits, The proceeds of donations goes towards the update and new purchases and this can be clearly seen. UBC museum of Anthropology in Vancouver and the Royal BC museum in the Capital Victoria are excellent and Sheffield museums could learn a lot from these especially as Victoria's population is very low compared to Sheffield. That said they do charge a small entrance fee which is nominal. I for one have never been disappointed.

Nearer to home Manchester and London's museums are also very good especially Hendon and the Natural History museum which I definitely recommend. I visited the Imperial war museum at Salford Quays last year in the former and that was impressive... so exactly what happened to Sheffield and do people actually donate anything as I certainly wouldn't for the Western Park museum now.

Archived