Government debt at highest ever..1 Trillion

'They have to be carefully costed' Fairdooz?

You mean like the Olympics which was costed at 2 billion, and is now reaching upwards of 9 billion?

How many civil servants did it take to come up with that gross underestmate?

Does anyone ever get sacked for incompetance in these cases, or do we just hand them a massive salary and a knighthood?

Incompetence or something even more sinister?

... did the government of the day ... tell them to do it and tell them what answers to produce?

I suspect that many infrastructure projects to "stimulate the economy" do little more than put work in the hands of the companies who may be a little too close to the decision makers.

Could civil servants be party to deliberately underestimating costs and over-estimating benefits?

Think about it, whenever did ANY project come in UNDER budget? If it were just incompetence, surely mistakes would be made both above and below final cost?

Think about it, whenever did ANY project come in UNDER budget? If it were just incompetence, surely mistakes would be made both above and below final cost?

Isn't this down to not having clauses in contracts which say that the price is final or something like that? It seems to be awfully easy to just up the cost of major projects..

Isn't this down to not having clauses in contracts which say that the price is final or something like that? It seems to be awfully easy to just up the cost of major projects..
There's a reason the Gvt always gets shaft... done in contracts with private service providers: if those Gvt types were skilled enough to do a good job (achieving such clauses and covenants as you suggest)...they'd be on the other side of the table working in the private sector instead :hihi:

You only have to look how skilled 'they' were at negotiating e.g. the contracts for those aircraft carriers ;)

There's a reason the Gvt always gets shaft... done in contracts with private service providers: if those Gvt types were skilled enough to do a good job (achieving such clauses and covenants as you suggest)...they'd be on the other side of the table working in the private sector instead :hihi:

You only have to look how skilled 'they' were at negotiating e.g. the contracts for those aircraft carriers ;)

Yep,you're probably right...easy to be lax with other people's cash isn't it..

See what you done truman? You got me started about the Civil Service's lack of accountability again...Grrr, I'm a sucker for it: a year's worth of (very-) high level secondment in there during my national service, gave me enough insight into the scale of tax money wastage that goes on, to fuel my rants (as a taxpayer) for a lifetime :hihi:

Archived