Styan's The Bakers.

zakes

Styan’s The Bakers.

Whilst living at Gleadless Townend during the late 60’s, early70’s, we had two Styan’s bakers shops. One was situated at the top of Gleadless Road next door to Godbehere’s shoe repairs, and opposite the S & E shop. The other Styan’s shop was on White Lane next to the Midland Bank. Does anybody remember them? If I have rightly remembered I think the ladies wore pink and white smocks (tabbards) and those coronet type things in their hair.

One Saturday me mum found some bristly brush hairs in a loaf then sent me dad with it back to the Gleadless Road shop. He came back with a new loaf plus breadcakes, and a boatload of buns as a form of apology!

1. How many shops did Styan’s have in Sheffield?

2. Who was C.E. Styan?

3. Where was their bakery?

4. What happened to Styan’s, did they go bust?

I remember going to Styans the bakers at Low Shirgreen with my grandma, she would buy a twisted milk loaf, I always had the ends with lots of butter on them, she would also buy me a maringue which was two meringue shells joined together with artificial cream Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

From Kelly's 1965 directory.

C.E. Styan, Ltd. bakers, Cutts Terrace, Broadfield Road, 8.

17 & 487 Bellhouse Road, 5.

4 & 301 Middiewood Road, 6.

208 Bocking Lane, 8.

2a Boundary Road, 2.

123 Spital Hill, 4.

252 Langsett Road, 6.

110 Birley Spa Lane, 12.

271 Buchanan Road, 5.

698 Attercliffe Road, 9.

764 Chesterfield Road, 8.

867 Gleadless Road, 12.

143 Upperthorpe Road, 6.

I worked in Barclays Bank, 2, Middlewood Rd., from 1960-62. C.E Styans were next door and did excellent sandwiches which were well worth grabbing hold of in the lunch hour. As were the blond and the brunette who worked there at the time.

I can remember the Styans in Firth Park, which is one of those listed for Bellhouse Road, in the early 1950s.

Many years later I was introduced to an old relative, who told me that "The last time I saw you, you were climbing up Styans window."

My grandma's sister, Auntie Rosie, used to keep an off licence just opposite Styans.

Archived