Are the B.B.C. news prejudiced against ugly people ?

I have thought this for some time as I have yet to see someone who is not good looking being a presenter on the news, especially the women presenters. Are looks discriminated against by the B.B.C. ? regardless of qualifications or suitability for the position of presenter ? Is this really fair to those that do not have near model looks but are more than qualified to do the job ?:huh:

I suppose that a "bonny" lass reading the news is more easy on the eye to the majority, and as such will bring in more viewers - that's the beebs priority I assume, the numbers of viewers. A sad situation in these PC days.

From a personal view it would not matter who the news reader was or what their physical appearance was like provided I could understand them, a bright clear voice would be the most important thing in a news reader. or presenter.

Angel.

Whilst has been proven that there is an element of ageism/sexism in the employment of TV presenters, I'm not convinced that attractiveness plays as big a factor as it once did.

"Attractiveness" is pretty subjective anyway, and TV presenters are far more likely to attempt to conform to some preconceived idea of what they think "attractiveness" is than actually be employed because they look that way. News presenters in particular have to be pretty smart these days.

I recall looking at some of my old primary school photos recently. At the time I thought all the girls were ugly just like all boys do. Even looking back I saw nothing to dissuade me that my immature opinion at the time was wide of the mark, except that I know that most of them have grown up to be very attractive women. The girls have grown up to care more about what they look like, and conform to some idea of attractiveness, whilst my opinion has also changed.

I received an email recently, "there are no ugly women, only poor women". I'm sure many of you will have received it. It contained a series before and after photos to highlight how time and money can supposedly turn any ducklings into a swan. See here:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=5242

The thing is, I actually find the 9 "duckings" to be just as attractive as the scrubbed up "swan" versions.

Edit: Muldoon, why did you have to put BBC in the title? It was obviously going to attract a certain tedious poster here. :hihi:

The swans all look the same and are lacking in any individuality, in my humble opinion.

That said, I seldom disagree with you, however, on this issue I do. My personal observations are that as a general rule, female TV presenters (especially newsreaders) are far more attractive than their male counterparts (I cannot think iof any female equivalents of the 'dream team' males cited on this thread) and one cannot help but conclude that this factor plays a significant role in their success. Not only are they attractive, or rather telegenic, they're also on the whole becoming increasingly waif-like. I only watch BBC News so I can't really speak for the other channels but I imagine it to be pretty much universal.

Conversely, looks are not a pre-requisite to be a female comedian. The ability to send oneself up, develop a thick skin and be self-deprecating as a form of self-defence are probably rooted in many a comedian's genesis.

The swans all look the same and are lacking in any individuality, in my humble opinion.

I very nearly typed that I thought all 10 women were equally attractive, the nine "ducklings" and the one "swan". :)

That said, I seldom disagree with you, however, on this issue I do. My personal observations are that as a general rule, female TV presenters (especially newsreaders) are far more attractive than their male counterparts (I cannot think iof any female equivalents of the 'dream team' males cited on this thread) and one cannot help but conclude that this factor plays a significant role in their success. Not only are they attractive, or rather telegenic, they're also on the whole becoming increasingly waif-like. I only watch BBC News so I can't really speak for the other channels but I imagine it to be pretty much universal.

Conversely, looks are not a pre-requisite to be a female comedian. The ability to send oneself up, develop a thick skin and be self-deprecating as a form of self-defence are probably rooted in many a comedian's genesis.

I'm sure it happens, and it certainly did happen at lot once, but I'm not convinced that it's not ageism rather than beautyism (?) that's at play.

I find most women attractive, particularly of the age that most news presenters are, and don't think the average BBC news presenter is any more attractive than most women these days tbh.

Admittedly there's the waif-like Fiona Bruce, but they do spend hours in make-up to make them all confirm to some preconceived idea of what a newsreader should look like.

I could be very wrong though, and I'm not talking about commercial stations where the job is still just reading from script.

I very nearly typed that I thought all 10 women were equally attractive, the nine "ducklings" and the one "swan". :)

I'm sure it happens, and it certainly did happen at lot once, but I'm not convinced that it's not ageism rather than beautyism (?) that's at play.

I find most women attractive, particularly of the age that most news presenters are, and don't think the average BBC news presenter is any more attractive than most women these days tbh.

Admittedly there's the waif-like Fiona Bruce, but they do spend hours in make-up to make them all confirm to some preconceived idea of what a newsreader should look like.

I could be very wrong though, and I'm not talking about commercial stations where the job is still just reading from script.

I think that it is ageism (far more so with women than men) as well as body and beauty fascism. Female weather presenters also seem to be far more attractive than male ones, the latter are a dying breed, are they not? The waif look appears to be all the rage with Natasha Kaplinsky and Sian Williams who appear to be fast disappearing before our eyes! I can't really comment on the commercial stations, Emily Maitlis started out on Sky I think.

Sky is probably worse. You've only to watch Eamon Holmes in the morning. There's him, the big lump and about 5 young attractive slim women..

Having said that this breakfast show is far better than the other two on the BBC and ITV. The presenters on these shows appear as though they're treading on egg shells all the time in their desperation not to offend anyone and be even minded..

Archived