The Dangers of Being Gay

This is a discourse that me and Frank had on here.

People get beat up purely for being gay, or for being straight but camp. Would you advise them to stop doing what they're doing?

Yes I would if it made them safer.

Don't be gay. It's your own fault if a bigot beats you up. There we have it.

Awful.

Erm, I didn't say that at all. I said in some circumstances, for ones personal safety, its better to use your nogging... I see your struggling and getting a little desperate

I'm sure there's a thread worthy of the dangers of being gay, but its another issue.

So ... a thread worthy of debate. :)

If a gay man is beaten up for being gay, is he not using his noggin, his common sense per se; or is he entitled to his own sexuality and anyone beating him up is a bigot?

Chris_Sleeps - I'm with you. There is no need to be overtly camp. If however, someone is being targeted due to them being openly gay then that is different.

I'm a gay man, but i am not camp. I am comfortable with my sexuality, but don't need to broadcast it to everyone around me all the time. ("Hi, Im Stomp and I'm a gay").

So ... a thread worthy of debate. :)

If a gay man is beaten up for being gay, is he not using his noggin, his common sense per se; or is he entitled to his own sexuality and anyone beating him up is a bigot?

You seem to have made a nice job of taking what someone has said and twisting it to make it seem like he was saying something else.

Quite childish really.

You both have a point in the discussion you have had, I suppose it’s down to where you live, much of what Frank as said doesn't happen near me, but that doesn't mean there aren’t places where it does. If I was gay I am sure I could be openly gay here but I’m also sure there are places I would hide the fact.

There is the secondary point of straight men who are effeminate being attacked. That isn't even a sexuality that is being attacked.

I would imagine there are parts of the UK in which you might be hit for being effeminate; it makes sense to consider your actions or behaviour where ever you go. I don’t think it would be anything like as bad now as it was 30 years ago and hopefully any kind of intimidation for being different will one day be a thing of the past.

Maybe frank just lives in an area in which this kind of things is still rampant.

I would imagine there are parts of the UK in which you might be hit for being effeminate; it makes sense to consider your actions or behaviour where ever you go.

Indeed, but I used the words "stop", to which Frank agreed. That is different to considering.

I wore a black hooded top with Slipknot on it when I was about 16/17 (forgive me, I know). I remember being attacked by someone calling me a freak. Just jeans and a black top. Should I have considered my actions a little more? Was I not using "me noggin"?

There are always small minded bullies. One doesn't change a lifestyle for them, and excusing them is equally as foul.

Archived