The Dangers of Being Gay

With the focus being mainly on effeminate men, I'm glad you mentioned tomboys. Is society generally more accepting of a more masculine girl/woman than an effeminate boy/man?

It seems to be, although there are probably a lot of females who get grief for being percieved as masculine.

I think some people are so insecure they feel threatened by anyone who is different to them.

Yes they are and being a "Tomboy" is usually said in a complimentary way...

Exactly. Calling a girl a tomboy isn't usually done in a pejorative way, yet an effeminate boy isn't often afforded the same affection for his traits.

Of course an adult woman taking on a masculine appearance may encounter some of the same attitudes as a man (such as assumptions of perceived sexuality) but I don't think to the same extent a man would.

If I was gay and knew that other people would beat me up because of it if I went into a certain bar or area I would stay away from the bar or area.

Children are beaten up for being gay; adults are beaten up for being gay in braod daylight in large cities; and people are who are not gay are being beaten up because it is thought they are gay.

Not sure if things will change, or how how this change might come about though

With the focus being mainly on effeminate men, I'm glad you mentioned tomboys. Is society generally more accepting of a more masculine girl/woman than an effeminate boy/man?

I wouldn't say accepting, but I would presume women aren't as intimidated or prone to violence than your stereotypical homophobic male that presumes every gay man wants to grab his bits (even though they wouldn't go near him with a barge pole) type.

plus these tend to be the people who are scared they might like it so put on a massive front :D

I suspect there has been more straight men that have been beaten up even killed than gay men .More to the point there are quite a few gay men that are quiet capable of looking after themselves, if it came down to a fight.

Right Said Fred;)

I suspect there has been more straight men that have been beaten up even killed than gay men .More to the point there are quite a few gay men that are quiet capable of looking after themselves, if it came down to a fight.

yes but I'm sure the straight men weren't beaten up and killed purely for being straight.

Not sure if things will change, or how how this change might come about though

Bit of a juggling act isn't it, exposing bigots is a good start (many on here to get yer teeth into):hihi:..It seems that being gay, being a woman, being a man, being a child, being an animal you're not safe at any time because the attack can happen when you least expect it...so to sum it up, common sense works as some have implied, which is rubbish because if you haven't been attacked how do you know it was because of caution?

Here's one: You wouldn't walk through the streets of Bagdad wearing full Brit or US combat clothing would you? Well duh!

or

You wouldn't go to an EDL meeting and start mincing around. Again..duh!

Which dimwit thinks up these scenarios as an excuse to excuse the inexcusable?

Archived