Previous tenants debt

I recently moved into my current home. The previous tennants it seems left in a hurry, and left lots of things such as a 3 piece suite, fridge freezer and bunk beds. As he never came back for them, my landlord said I could have them as they're better than my old ones. Now I'm getting calls to the door from people in suits asking for previous tennant. I think that these items might've been bought on hp and now he isn't paying. Does that mean they can sieze these goods, as I've got rid of my old ones! Help!

I recently moved into my current home. The previous tennants it seems left in a hurry, and left lots of things such as a 3 piece suite, fridge freezer and bunk beds. As he never came back for them, my landlord said I could have them as they're better than my old ones. Now I'm getting calls to the door from people in suits asking for previous tennant. I think that these items might've been bought on hp and now he isn't paying. Does that mean they can sieze these goods, as I've got rid of my old ones! Help!

Are they from Brighthouse?

It depends who the goods belonged to in the first place. If they were Tenant #1s, and especially true if they're on HP, then the landlord has no right to give possession of them away.

You have no duty to deal with the debt collectors though. Tell them the tenant has moved, and don't let them in. It's not your debt.

Presumably you have a copy of the lease from your tenancy?

If you have that then they have no right to enter the building and you have no need to talk to them.

You leave them on the doorstep, shut the door (and lock it, just to be careful) and go to fetch them the lease.

Present lease, the person they are seeking no longer lives here. End of conversation. There is no need to discuss any items at all.

Presumably you have a copy of the lease from your tenancy?

If you have that then they have no right to enter the building and you have no need to talk to them.

You leave them on the doorstep, shut the door (and lock it, just to be careful) and go to fetch them the lease.

Present lease, the person they are seeking no longer lives here. End of conversation. There is no need to discuss any items at all.

Excellent advice Medusa, I would add, get a chain fitted to the door and answer your door whilst the chain is on. If they persist in calling ask them for a business card and get citizens advice to draft a letter to their head office for you.

If they keep hassling you get a few copies of your housing contract made and give them one saying you moved in on X date, the previous tennant has left and hasn't left a forwarding address. Tell them you will only deal with them by mail and if they keep coming to your door let them know it constitutes harrassment.

If they keep hassling you get a few copies of your housing contract made and give them one saying you moved in on X date, the previous tennant has left and hasn't left a forwarding address. Tell them you will only deal with them by mail and if they keep coming to your door let them know it constitutes harrassment.

If it's the furniture that they're after then it doesn't really belong to the new tennant..what recourse in law do they (the new tennant) have to hold onto it? Genuine question..

If it's the furniture that they're after then it doesn't really belong to the new tennant..what recourse in law do they (the new tennant) have to hold onto it? Genuine question..

Surely the property therein is the sole responsibility of the landlord and if he has chosen to give the furniture to the new tenant then any recourse should be directed at him and not the tennant ?

what recourse in law do they (the new tennant) have to hold onto it? Genuine question..

None. It's not theirs. It is not Bubble3082's place to open the door for them though. If they want access to her house they can go down the legal route and get the debtor involved.

Archived