Care support jobs

Does anyone work in this industry?

My OH is seriously looking at a career change form the Police force.

She is trying to look at non office based jobs,which vary and have varied hours of work etc.

Any advice welcome.

I know people who work in the care sector and their tales usually consist of unsocial hours, low pay, high stress levels and bullying from their managers.

My OH used to do respite care which might be another option, but she only did the odd afternoon and one overnight stay per week.

If you are talking care workers as in working in a nursing or residential home expect a very large drop in earnings. That said there are always jobs about but that's because they are low paid and very challenging.

I think if you work with disabled people, particularly young adults and kids the pay is slightly better and I think you've a slightly better chance of advancing. That bits a guess, the two people I knew who did that line if work had no qualifications to speak of between them and they got on, but haven't seen them in ages so can't remember many details.

Considering the experience you oh has would qualifying as a social worker be an idea ?

tbh the aspects she has noted that interest her are the variations (on a theme),not office bound,varied hours with the potential for days off afternoons off etc instead of 9-5 Mon to Fri.

If the wages exceed £52 (before tax) a day she'd be better off.

My oh is one of the millions who has achieved professional advancement with minimal qualifications,usually based on her abilities and aptitude.

Archived