Bogus call from technical support team

PEOPLE BEWARE

Just had a call from an Asian guy called "Eric" fron the technical support team. COULD TELL IMMEDIATELY THAT THIS CALL WAS A CON. He told me that my particular computer is being accessed by something that is not a virus and that I cant sort it through my provider - Talk Talk. He was waffling on about this not being an ordinary virus and that peoples computers were just going blank for no reason and only t...his department could deal with it. He said "now switch your computer on immediately" I said "I have just sat down to have my tea" he replied "but you must turn it on immediately" to which I replied" did you not hear what I just said, I am having my tea" he just hung up. I rang 1471 and pressed 3 to redial and it was engaged all the time so I took the number down, 01234765093. If you dial that number it says the number you have dialled has not been recognised. Just be aware of this people.

I get this kind of call frequently - once or twice a month over the last 18 months.

A colleague at work is prepared for them. He says he can't have a virus because he doesn't have the internet ... or a computer! Then as matter of fact as he can - "in fact we don't even have a phone."

Whatever you do - don't engage with them!

Archived