Cameron, Clegg and Osborne policies push UK closer to recession

As I recall manufacturing accounted for over 80% of the UK's GDP until 1979,

by the time the Conservatives were gone in '97, it had fallen to around 19%, which fell under Labour to around 14%.

T

What absolute unmittigated tripe.

I would just love to see you back that up. I'll not hold my breath.

This thread is just another excuse to have a loony left stupidityfest to bash the Tories. Of course facts have no place in a debate like this but here's a few for you to ignore:

When the Tories took over in 1979 they had to rescue the country from years of neglect by Labour. Yes, it was painful but they stuck at it and turned the economy round. By the time Labour took over in 1997 the books were balanced, the economy was growing and national debt was all but paid off. After only 13 years of Labour incompetence we are faced with the worst recession since the 1930s, the biggest deficit in history, 8m economically inactive people, an overbloated and failing public sector, a country flooded with immigrants, a culture of something for nothing and not a pot to pee in.

Unsurprisingly it will take time to clear up this Labour mess but if the Tories stick at it they will do it again. Hopefully, Labour will never ever ever ever again be given the chance to "muck" the country up again.

This thread is just another excuse to have a loony left stupidityfest to bash the Tories. Of course facts have no place in a debate like this but here's a few for you to ignore:

When the Tories took over in 1979 they had to rescue the country from years of neglect by Labour. Yes, it was painful but they stuck at it and turned the economy round. By the time Labour took over in 1997 the books were balanced, the economy was growing and national debt was all but paid off. After only 13 years of Labour incompetence we are faced with the worst recession since the 1930s, the biggest deficit in history, 8m economically inactive people, an overbloated and failing public sector, a country flooded with immigrants, a culture of something for nothing and not a pot to pee in.

Unsurprisingly it will take time to clear up this Labour mess but if the Tories stick at it they will do it again. Hopefully, Labour will never ever ever ever again be given the chance to "muck" the country up again.

You mean they turned the workshop of the world into shopping malls and call centres!

Can you explain why a negative balance of trade is unsustainable?

not here to make enemies, but ... c'mon Tony you're smarter than that.

I quoted it for you.

A short term negative trade balance may be no big deal,

but the PWC report says

Perhaps most seriously, Britain has a highly negative balance of trade (total exports minus total imports) that is not sustainable.

wednesday1's right ... 's obvious innit ...

unsustainable? that which cannot be sustained.

BTW just so that you know ... I'm neither left nor right politically. But I AM a member of both the Conservative Party (£1 did the trick) and the Labour Party (£5 a month - outrageous!)

The Liberals didn't respond to my application despite the fact I'd probably be most at home there.

It's quite liberating (!) being an independent!

As I recall manufacturing accounted for over 80% of the UK's GDP until 1979,

by the time the Conservatives were gone in '97, it had fallen to around 19%, which fell under Labour to around 14%.

Not quite but you was close.

UK manufacturing accounted for 35% of GDP in 1960; by 1999, this had fallen to 19%.

In 1979 manufacturing accounted for almost 30 per cent of the UK's GDP.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselect/cmtrdind/597/59704.htm

http://www.historyandpolicy.org/opinion/opinion_07.html

Not quite but you was close.

UK manufacturing accounted for 35% of GDP in 1960; by 1999, this had fallen to 19%.

In 1979 manufacturing accounted for almost 30 per cent of the UK's GDP.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselect/cmtrdind/597/59704.htm

http://www.historyandpolicy.org/opinion/opinion_07.html

I'm sure you are right, but as the graph on page 6 of this report clearly shows manufacturing output increasing by a massive 40% plus during the 1980s, that must mean GDP rose by 60-70% in a decade.

http://www.pwc.co.uk/pdf/UKmanufacturing_300309.pdf

That's impressive stuff. Our growth rate under Thatcher must have equalled that of China's in the last decade.

Archived