Modern pressure within work places.

With the current cut-back issues throughout the country / world, many workers now face almost the impossible.

Workers in many areas these days are asked / ‘politely’ encouraged to go that extra mile. The trouble is that extra mile usually means the employee is under immense pressure.

Stress among workers these days, must be causing many health issues, regarding mood and health.

The unions are powerless these days to tackle employers asking the impossible, workers are on their own these days regarding this issue.

I'm not blaming the unions, but I feel Unions take a back seat these days regarding who runs the show.

Before anyone asks, no I'm not affected by this personally, but see it daily in work colleagues and family and friends.

Well for what it's worth, that's my two-penny’s-worth.

Im not sure what you mean by "who runs the show"

Its obviously the employer. They are the ones who run the company. They are the ones who pay the wages.

Am I reading your post wrong? What has any of it got to do with the unions?

If a boss encourages someone to go the extra mile then surely its a personal choice whether you do or not. Nobody is forcing you to do it. Just like nobody is forcing you to work hard and get a promotion.

There are plenty of people happy to say at the same level all their lives and never take on extra responsibility. There are also plenty of other people who decide they cant cope with the pressure, leave and do something else.

Stress is a completely personal thing that affects everyone in totally different ways. I really dont understand what you would expect a company or union to do.

And aren`t employers making the most of it :(

Not particuarly.

Times are hard for everyone. That includes most company directors.

Not every boss owns vodafone and not every boss is a millionaire.

If SOME staff are willing to work a bit harder or sacrifice in some other way for the good of the firm - why the hell not?

It might be very beneficial in the long term - particuarly if it could mean the difference between the company trading or having to close.

You are affected, certainly if your in a workplace where this sort of pressure takes place. Those employees are quite possibly taking up your slack. but I don't know. I do know the public sector is facing cuts and the private sector is facing jo public / organisations aren't spending money.

When there is there is unpaid overtime etc most responsible bosses do because they have to. They might need it to help keep their own job or keep the business fro

going down the pan. everyone could just do the minimum but don't be surprised when it all goes south when another company gets that big contract, everyone looses.

No easy answers.

Re the unions. One, can't remember which one, thoughtfully got 60000 woolworths staff 2 months pay because their members weren't properly consulted by the administrators. Administrators aren't paying so the tax payer is. Nit great, but if said employees are still unemployed they can say bye bye to benefits then go through the faff of getting them again.

Not particuarly.

Times are hard for everyone. That includes most company directors.

Not every boss owns vodafone and not every boss is a millionaire.

If SOME staff are willing to work a bit harder or sacrifice in some other way for the good of the firm - why the hell not?

It might be very beneficial in the long term - particuarly if it could mean the difference between the company trading or having to close.

Agreed, you made a better job of saying that than I did :):)

The sad thing is I don't believe it will push people to go that extra mile. Personaly I think it will encourage people to play down others efforts, a snideyness (I know that's probably not a realy word) and culture of backstabbing that ultimately is detremental to the workforce, but if there are threats of redundancies yes you could go the extra mile but it is easier to show how so and so isn't going the extra mile. two facedness and gossiping in the workforce, top management!

It's bringing 'politics' into work somethign that I've always despised as ther eare people who know how to play that game.

I take it you are a director :suspect:

No. Just a cog in a machine.

However, I have previously worked for a small firm that was severely affected by the floods. EVERYONE was working 12+ hours a day for weeks to try and salvage what we could, get temporary systems set up, appease angry clients, find temporary workspace, work from cars, home, cafes to get us back up and running.

Of course we could have just sat on our backsides strictly 9-5 scratching our heads. We could have cried off with stress. We could have gone whining to our unions. That would have helped.

I have also been lucky enough to be promoted twice and seen plenty of others overlooked who then just sit there whinging about it.

I have seen my office close down and closed down some myself.

Think about it. There are always times when its a good thing to do that bit extra.

I take it you are/were a shop steward or union member?

No. Just a cog in a machine.

However, I have previously worked for a small firm that was severely affected by the floods. EVERYONE was working 12+ hours a day for weeks to try and salvage what we could, get temporary systems set up, appease angry clients, find temporary workspace, work from cars, home, cafes to get us back up and running.

Of course we could have just sat on our backsides strictly 9-5 scratching our heads. We could have cried off with stress. We could have gone whining to our unions. That would have helped.

I have also been lucky enough to be promoted twice and seen plenty of others overlooked who then just sit there whinging about it.

I have seen my office close down and closed down some myself.

Think about it. There are always times when its a good thing to do that bit extra.

I take it you are/were a shop steward or union member?

there's a definatr benefit for small businesses (well managers may see it as a benefit rather than staff) as you know that you not turning up will directly affect and hamper your collegues which most people aren't up for doing, unless you hate them.

working in kitchens I'd never pull a sicky due to being hungover as it would drop everyone else in it, but I can imagine people doing it for some faceless corporation with tonnes of staff. I'm not saying it's right but I could see how people would make that distinction.

Archived