Modern pressure within work places.

there's a definatr benefit for small businesses (well managers may see it as a benefit rather than staff) as you know that you not turning up will directly affect and hamper your collegues which most people aren't up for doing, unless you hate them.

working in kitchens I'd never pull a sicky due to being hungover as it would drop everyone else in it, but I can imagine people doing it for some faceless corporation with tonnes of staff. I'm not saying it's right but I could see how people would make that distinction.

I think that's a sensible position. Wheels fall off when people take that attitude to a small business though.

I think that's a sensible position. Wheels fall off when people take that attitude to a small business though.

ah definately, but it can work both ways, when you are genuinely are ill. I've always been a sucker for not wanting to let anyone down, but especially in that environment, if you could pass it on to the cutomers it's not ideal.

I know people who go to work through hell or high water only to be sent home by their boss.

ah definately, but it can work both ways, when you are genuinely are ill. I've always been a sucker for not wanting to let anyone down, but especially in that environment, if you could pass it on to the cutomers it's not ideal.

I know people who go to work through hell or high water only to be sent home by their boss.

I agree, a care workers turns up with flu could bring a nursing home to it's knees, and I think attitudes are changing to the "come in at all costs" ethos, which is good in some ways but shamelessly exploited by those who can't be bothered because they have a hangover.

No. Just a cog in a machine.

However, I have previously worked for a small firm that was severely affected by the floods. EVERYONE was working 12+ hours a day for weeks to try and salvage what we could, get temporary systems set up, appease angry clients, find temporary workspace, work from cars, home, cafes to get us back up and running.

That was a one off and yes I was affected by it, pumping out water, cleaning and painting all while trying to carry on with the routine stuff but I was talking about employers using the current situation to push through changes in working practice, reduction in pay and the general “if you don’t like it there are millions waiting for your job” attitude ………. Its not good for moral and ultimately it cant be good for the company.

I agree, a care workers turns up with flu could bring a nursing home to it's knees, and I think attitudes are changing to the "come in at all costs" ethos, which is good in some ways but shamelessly exploited by those who can't be bothered because they have a hangover.

Maybe in white-collar jobs but if you are in a factory and phoned in because you had a cold / flu they would laugh at you.

I agree with the OP. It's getting tougher for employees.

But, when I worked over in Australia I was quite surprised to be honest. I thought they'd be chilling on beaches the whole time but they work longer hours and harder than Brits, its the norm to do overtime. They don't seem to complain about it much.

It's a work hard-play hard culture. Britain also has the most PRO employee laws in the world and developed workers rights.

Its really hard to sack a permanant employee for instance here in comparison to say Germany. You need a proper reason and to go through a process etc.

Perhaps then we've had it 'too' easy and took great work conditions for granted?

I also think Britain is too pre-occupied with an old fordism model of Business.

I was reading that '4 hour work week' by this American dude Tim Ferriss. I'd recommend it. He advocates increasing your productive time through outsourcing thus cutting the time spent in the office. This works by micro-managing your time, breaking it down.

He had some interesting insights. One simple example was only checking email once a week instead of every day. He found his Business did not suffer at all because most of the emails we get are rubblish or can wait.

I think if more bosses had a look at this attitude and create a 'meta' model so to speak instead of keeping to 'tried and tested' methods we would have better Businesses, a more flexible workforce and much happier employees.

Its really hard to sack a permanant employee for instance here in comparison to say Germany. You need a proper reason and to go through a process etc.

Is that true or is just another throwaway comment :suspect:

Once again, we see a British government willing to weaken labour rights (UK to relax working-time rules as price of EU deal, 21 November). The existing directive already offers considerable flexibility, with an average 48-hour a week maximum over 11 weeks; recognition of emergency situations where usual rest times may not be possible; and the opportunity to negotiate agreements to vary terms.

• Workers in the UK already have the fewest employment rights in Europe, yet are now facing the possibility of even fewer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/nov/21/health-warning-labour-rights-move

Welcome to the new world of serfdom, where you work for your masters for peanuts, who actually value you as replaceable. Plenty more where you came from.

Let the smug laugh in a couple of years or so when, the ones that make the decisions decide having smart arses might be a potential threat to their economic stability.

Hopefully regarding jobs and security, it should eventually turn out like in a refugee camp where food is distributed in a way that people scramble over each other, and do anything they can to feed their families. Remember the only value you have long term is nothing, you are all replaceable by people who will do it for less and for a time scramble to do more, till they too are discarded.

Its actually a game in which everyone looses but at different times, and its so funny and amusing to see their worried faces, as insecurity lurks like a contagious virus. Again ask yourself who actually gains, not just withing your organisation but who is pulling the strings, that everyone unknowingly jumps to?

If you're good at your job and you do what your boss tells you quickly and efficiently, there is no more pressure now in your work place than there was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

The only people who should feel under pressure are the skivers and the workshy, and quite rightly so!

I work for my self and have had people working for me and it is no fun being a boss I can assure you,some times the workers have made more than me by the time I have paid everything,and to get good staff is a nightmare things like ringing up on Monday morning saying they have d and v when you have a load of work booked in for the day, loosing and damaging tools,and not looking after your vans loads of things that people don't think about,most people think just because you run a busyness you are loaded its just not true,the pressure on an employee is nothing compared to the pressure a boss is under.

Archived