RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch - 28-29 Jan 2012

We get a couple of robins every day, several blue tits, plenty of pigeons, starling, sparrows and blackbirds. And occasionally some other birds that I haven’t identified, I think possibly goldfinches, they cost use a fortune to feed but my other half loves to sit and watch them.

I’ll get her to take part.

Thanks for the reminder! For me at the moment it's mainly blackbirds, goldfinches, sparrows and wood pigeons. If I'm lucky I might get a sparrowhawk or a great spotted woodpecker.

We occasionally get a sparrow hawk, I haven't seen it catch anything here but I did at the last house, my wife doesn't like to see them but they are the highlight of my bird watching. The only bird we get that I don’t want is a heron that keeps trying to catch my fish, although it is fascinating to watch it land and take off quickly when we shout at it.

We occasionally get a sparrow hawk, I haven't seen it catch anything here but I did at the last house, my wife doesn't like to see them but they are the highlight of my bird watching.

I only see this bird every two months or so. The last time I saw her she had a wood pigeon pinned to the ground. She's also had a couple of finches in my garden.

We get a couple of robins every day, several blue tits, plenty of pigeons, starling, sparrows and blackbirds.

I also get a robin and a few blue/great tits and a couple of green finches (thanks, I'd forgotten about these :blush:). I also had some redwings stripping a tree of it's berries - No doubt none of these birds will around when i sit down to do my count :(

Last year I had an over-wintering Blackcap which was nice but I'm not expecting much more than blue tit, blackbird, woodpigeon, robin, dunnock and collared dove this year.

18 months ago the garden would regularly be visited by 20+ sparrows but it is rare I see a single bird nowadays. Too many cats on the prowl I think coupled with rubbish hedges. I need a really good, dense beech or bay hedge.

18 months ago the garden would regularly be visited by 20+ sparrows but it is rare I see a single bird nowadays. Too many cats on the prowl I think coupled with rubbish hedges. I need a really good, dense beech or bay hedge.

I have also have a small group of 20 sparrows visiting on a daily basis. They're slowly growing in size as it was only about 12 strong a couple of years ago. I have quite a long garden with thick thorn hedge on one side and a privet hedge on the other and they seem to spend most of the day flying back and forth from one side to the other. I also have about 4 feeders around the garden which helps bring the birds in.

One bird I used to get in the garden about 3 years ago which i miss is the bullfinch - Beautiful looking bird but rarely seen in my area now.

Archived