RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch - 28-29 Jan 2012

We've had very few starlings this year & I have no idea why as we usually have loads of the noisy, mucky little chavs (I still like them though). It's been the same with siskins and goldfinches too, don't know what's going on. Loads of chaffinches though which is good to see as they seemed particularly badly hit by the trichomonosis virus.

Your pictures are fabulous!

Cheers IreneW.

I'd love to know why siskins, goldfinches and chaffinches don't visit my garden. Maybe it's because I live on the Manor - which probably explains why I only get the chavs:(

Cheers IreneW.

I'd love to know why siskins, goldfinches and chaffinches don't visit my garden. Maybe it's because I live on the Manor - which probably explains why I only get the chavs:(

I get goldfinches occasionally because I put out black niger seed.

I get goldfinches occasionally because I put out black niger seed.

What I was going to say! Ryedo40, do you put niger seed out? I think goldfinches are pretty much city wide now, I remember seeing a huge flock on Fargate a few years ago now. Having said that, my niger seed has sat untouched for weeks now :-(. I hope they'll come back sometime.

What I was going to say! Ryedo40, do you put niger seed out? I think goldfinches are pretty much city wide now, I remember seeing a huge flock on Fargate a few years ago now. Having said that, my niger seed has sat untouched for weeks now :-(. I hope they'll come back sometime.

Yes, I have some in a feeder at the top of the garden. It's been there since summer and I still haven't seen a finch. I also put out mixed bird seed, fat balls and homemade bird cake. Still no luck :(

Archived