Good ale houses in Norton Lees

camraboy

Camragirl and I have just moved into the S8 area and are on the hunt for decent local pubs for the odd evening when we are not decorating. Our nearest decent place appears to be the Mount Pleasant on Derbyshire lane, which is friendly and has at least two beers in it we would drink. We know and like the Sheaf View and have just found the White Lion which had a good selection.

The Ale house on Fraser is a bit of a hike for us, but it was friendly and had also a good beer range.

Are there others we have obviously missed in walking or short bus distance? For us a good pint will not have come from the Tetleys or John Smiths stable, but will either be one of the local independents (Kelham, Brew Company, Steel City etc) or the slightly larger, but still independent, such as Thornbridge. Basically, somewhere committed to the beer they sell rather than food or Sky sports.

The Chantrey is run by the same fella who does the White Lion, I think. Found the beer there ok. Also Wetherspoons has an ale festival at the moment (I think). Sometimes I`ll bus upto Dronfield which has Coach and Horses. IMHO though The Ale House is far and away the best S8 pint. Spoilt for choice and very reasonable prices. :love:

White Lion and Chantrey are run by the same bloke who has taken over the Prince Of Wales on Derbyshire Lane, which should be local to you. I live nearby but haven't been in since it reopened. My favourite pub is the Rutland Arms.

Did a recent comparison between Ruttie and Tap. Have to say that the latter came out well on top for ales. Like the art in the Ruttie although the service could be better imo.

White Lion is better than the Chantry for beer. To be honest if your within walking distance of the white lion, the sheaf view and the mount pleasant, I don't think you need another ale pub!

You could try the Cremorne on London Road, or the recently re-opened Broadfield on Abbeydale road, both are good ale pubs that are walking distance from the White Lion, but presumably further away from where you live.

I think you've got them all down there. Would second the recommendation of Archer Road Beer off which sells Rochefort. Also the Newsagent on Derbyshire Lane sells full range of Thornbridge & Buxton ales. The Buxton Imperial Stout is a doozy!

S8 is probably one of the best suburban areas in the Country for good beer.

I think you've got them all down there. Would second the recommendation of Archer Road Beer off which sells Rochefort. Also the Newsagent on Derbyshire Lane sells full range of Thornbridge & Buxton ales. The Buxton Imperial Stout is a doozy!

Dunno about that. The Black Country around Tipton/Dudley/Stourbridge takes some beating.

Sheaf View is excellent for beer - but that's S2 isn't it? So is the Broadfield. I don't know the White Lion and Chantrey tbh. The Ale House on Fraser road is good for beer - just a tad depressing inside I'd say. If you can put up with that tired '60's look then, hey ho! you'll be happy with it.

Not in S8, but have you tried the Greystones pub? That's a really good night out with live music and comedy in addition to a good range of Thornbridge beers and the odd guest.

Thank you all for the most helpful responses. We have come from the Kelham Island area so are well versed in the beer scene on that side of town, but S8 is a new experience for us.

Great tip on the Derbyshire Lane newsagent since it would have been a month of Sundays before we went in there and we have walked past the Archer Road beer-off when it was shut, making a mental note to go back; I certainly shall for Rochefort.

Someone else mentioned the (re-opened?) Broadfield as worth a look, so perhaps we shall get our hiking boots on this weekend.

Now has anyone got an allotment or wish to share a large plot.............?

Buxton Imperial Black IPA is even better then their imperial stout IMHO!

I have bottles of Axe Edge and High Tor waiting to be drunk at home. :hihi:

Archived