Good ale houses in Norton Lees

camraboy

I always fine Wetherspoons O k too. Nice food in general and very reasonable priced

Camragirl and I have just moved into the S8 area and are on the hunt for decent local pubs for the odd evening when we are not decorating. Our nearest decent place appears to be the Mount Pleasant on Derbyshire lane, which is friendly and has at least two beers in it we would drink. We know and like the Sheaf View and have just found the White Lion which had a good selection.

The Ale house on Fraser is a bit of a hike for us, but it was friendly and had also a good beer range.

Are there others we have obviously missed in walking or short bus distance? For us a good pint will not have come from the Tetleys or John Smiths stable, but will either be one of the local independents (Kelham, Brew Company, Steel City etc) or the slightly larger, but still independent, such as Thornbridge. Basically, somewhere committed to the beer they sell rather than food or Sky sports.

Does the Asian fellow who looks like Dracula still run it? I used to go in there a lot in my Norton Lees Rd days but that was 15 years ago and he was getting on a bit then. Nice guy.

I can only think you mean Mr Khan:hihi:

Yes, he's still at the corner convenience shop but the Newsagent in question is a few doors down.

Does the Asian fellow who looks like Dracula still run it? I used to go in there a lot in my Norton Lees Rd days but that was 15 years ago and he was getting on a bit then. Nice guy.

You have the wrong shop, its the one further down the row of shops not the one on the corner.

Buxton Imperial Black IPA is even better then their imperial stout IMHO!

I have bottles of Axe Edge and High Tor waiting to be drunk at home. :hihi:

Buxton is my favourite too. I like Wild Boar and Axe Edge best.

Have you/anyone found any pubs selling Buxton beers on draught? I'd be really interested to know. I'd travel up to an hour each way just to go drink some.

The Rutland Arms in Chesterfield used to have it regular - but they seem to have stopped doing it now - guess there must have been some fall out with the brewers or maybe a new owner? The other place I've seen it is the Devonshire Arms at Beeley.

But never in Sheffield.

Buxton is my favourite too. I like Wild Boar and Axe Edge best.

Have you/anyone found any pubs selling Buxton beers on draught? I'd be really interested to know. I'd travel up to an hour each way just to go drink some.

The Rutland Arms in Chesterfield used to have it regular - but they seem to have stopped doing it now - guess there must have been some fall out with the brewers or maybe a new owner? The other place I've seen it is the Devonshire Arms at Beeley.

But never in Sheffield.

Dada Bar are quite keen on Buxton, have had their beers on cask before and also have some of their bottles in the fridge. Sheffield Tap have their stuff on once every so often.

The bottles I have were purchased at the Beer Parlour in Chesterfield.

Archived