RSPCA change their rules

I know people like this, it's because they've never trained the dog properly. Once a dog has been trained correctly you shouldn't need to tap it with a stick, and DEFINITELY not yank it's collar. If your dog is so unpredictable that you need a stick to control it, it needs to be on a lead. If it's on a lead then you don't need a stick.

I hate it when I see chavs out with a dog they haven't trained, shouting at them for "not listening, stoopid dog!" yanking on the lead aggressively while the dog just looks confused or a little scared.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people get a dog and think it can understand English. Even more amazing that some will talk louder and slower as if this makes the dog understand words that it hasn't been trained to respond to.

I had this with my sister in law, she got a dog and was complaining that "it's a stupid ignorant dog". She'd stand there shouting at the dog to "SIT" while it looked blanky at her. She'd never trained the dog to recognise and respond to the word, but she expected that it should know what she's shouting at it for ! :loopy:

Makes me wonder where the great unwashed chavs find 4-500 quid to buy those dogs?? Do they get them on the never never from Brighthouse?:D

True and remarkably you would not believe the number of rescue volunteers who refuse to give to the RSPCA as a charity or the number of private individuals who refuse to donate to the "corporate" charity because of the executives alleged multi million pound salaries.

I would never donate to the RSPCA - there is just something that makes me uncomfortable about the way they do business, they seem to be just that, a business. :loopy:

I know people like this, it's because they've never trained the dog properly. Once a dog has been trained correctly you shouldn't need to tap it with a stick, and DEFINITELY not yank it's collar. If your dog is so unpredictable that you need a stick to control it, it needs to be on a lead. If it's on a lead then you don't need a stick.

I hate it when I see chavs out with a dog they haven't trained, shouting at them for "not listening, stoopid dog!" yanking on the lead aggressively while the dog just looks confused or a little scared.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people get a dog and think it can understand English. Even more amazing that some will talk louder and slower as if this makes the dog understand words that it hasn't been trained to respond to.

I had this with my sister in law, she got a dog and was complaining that "it's a stupid ignorant dog". She'd stand there shouting at the dog to "SIT" while it looked blanky at her. She'd never trained the dog to recognise and respond to the word, but she expected that it should know what she's shouting at it for ! :loopy:

If it was that easy then dog trainers and behaviourists would be redundant and every dog owner would be well behaved and not a chav.

Surprisingly i know practicing dog trainers who don't comply with your perspective on trained dogs ownership.

If it was that easy then dog trainers and behaviourists would be redundant and every dog owner would be well behaved and not a chav.

Surprisingly i know practicing dog trainers who don't comply with your perspective on trained dogs ownership.

But there are extremes and i've seen dogs pulled clear off their feet with the ferocity of the pull.

But there are extremes and i've seen dogs pulled clear off their feet with the ferocity of the pull.

No one mentioned yanked off their feet. I was making a simple observational comment. Dogs are frequently pulled back by the collar to behave or tapped with a stick in completely acceptable circumstances. Hence the RSPCA won't do anything about it as it isn't classed as abuse (that gets us back to where the discussion started)at the level.

I see a guy who picks his border terrier up into his arms and spanks its ass a couple of times,usually as its about to attack my boxers,its inappropriate to me, but to the 70 year old guy it was how you controlled dogs in his day.(it doesn't work i might add or he wouldn't still be doing it).

No one mentioned yanked off their feet. I was making a simple observational comment. Dogs are frequently pulled back by the collar to behave or tapped with a stick in completely acceptable circumstances. Hence the RSPCA won't do anything about it as it isn't classed as abuse (that gets us back to where the discussion started)

No, no one did, i did it was merely to stress that there is yanking back or checking the chain and not having a clue and dragging the animal into the air.

Horse's mouth?

http://www.rspca.org.uk/in-action/whatwedo/decisions/prioritisinganimals

They will continue to work with other charities that take in animals. If you prefer, why not direct your donations to those?

RSPCA do point out that 96% of the animals taken into their own centres in 2010 were those rescued from neglect by RSPCA Officers.

So changing priorities will only be affecting 4% of their intake.

By the way, I also have problems in accepting some of the bureaucracy that the National RSPCA seem so fond of, but that is no reason to take claims from a blog that is vehemently anti-RSPCA (that is using a DM Article as its source) as the gospel truth.

I didn't say it was easy, and even if it WAS, how on Earth would that make every dog owner well behaved and not a chav?

You know trainers that think once you have trained a dog you should still have to tap it with a stick?

Do they also think that a dog that is unpredictable enough to require this should be allowed to be off the lead in public places?

If you need a stick to keep your dog controlled, it should be on a lead. As a by-product of having the dog on a lead, you won't need the stick.

Archived