Is google and wikipedia making us lazy?

I heard today that there is a train of thought which asserts that having instant access to websites like google and wikopedia is making us lazy, in that we don't have to bother remembering things, cos it's easier to look them up!

Any pearls of wisdom?

I heard today that there is a train of thought which asserts that having instant access to websites like google and wikopedia is making us lazy, in that we don't have to bother remembering things, cos it's easier to look them up!

Any pearls of wisdom?

The same is being said about sat navs.

They reckon the part of our gray matter that helps us navigate will turn to slush,and trickle out of our ears,and forever be gone.:D

The same is being said about sat navs.

They reckon the part of our gray matter that helps us navigate will turn to slush,and trickle out of our ears,and forever be gone.:D

Yeah, your probably right about the satnavs too. I have to confess, I rely on them more and more, to the point when I wonder what the hell I did before we had them! :hihi:

Yeah, your probably right about the satnavs too. I have to confess, I rely on them more and more, to the point when I wonder what the hell I did before we had them! :hihi:

Map reading is fine for travelling between cities/towns etc but pretty crap when you're trying to navigate round a city you're not familiar with in rush hour. So, pre-SATNAV we just got lost, drove round in cirlces and swore at incomprehensible one-way systems.

jb

I think before sat navs were invented,i actually got to my destination quicker.:huh:

My partner is a business lecturer at Edinburgh Uni,and she is forever telling me about how idle her students are,and the extremes they go to,to extract info from said sites.

Map reading is fine for travelling between cities/towns etc but pretty crap when you're trying to navigate round a city you're not familiar with in rush hour. So, pre-SATNAV we just got lost, drove round in cirlces and swore at incomprehensible one-way systems.

jb

It was the squinting at the microscopic A to Z maps that frustrated me, and you could always bet, the place you were looking for was in the crease of the page! However, strangely, I didn't used to get too lost. Then of course there was the old standby of actually 'asking' someone! (blokes don't do that though...according to women!...)

Depends on how you use the Internet. Educationally it is a wealth of information at your fingertips and has transformed the way we learn.

Your right!

But, when my partner is giving a lecture,and asks the students a question,some of them are clearly googling under the desks.

It doesn't matter if they give an incorrect answer,it's just a case of using their noggin,and keeping the gray matter active.

Your right!

But, when my partner is giving a lecture,and asks the students a question,some of them are clearly googling under the desks.

It doesn't matter if they give an incorrect answer,it's just a case of using their noggin,and keeping the gray matter active.

You are 100% correct. I have witnessed this on numerous occasions students 'Googling' using their phones.

But there will always be lazy people like those that take advantage of 'copy & paste' for written work.

Archived