Is google and wikipedia making us lazy?

You don't learn something by getting it right first time. You learn by getting it wrong, working out why you got it wrong and then learning to recognise the signs of getting it right or wrong. If you're paying attention to whether the irritating voice says that you need to go straight on or turn right are you learning also that you need to turn just after the traffic lights or that if you go past the house that's painted yellow you've gone too far?
This is exactly what's wrong with the way we're taught to drive

Just about everybody, the first time they get in the car after their test, goes blank as to how the heck they're going to get to where they want to go - and as for planning how and where they're going to park as they'll have to WALK the last bit, well that just doesn't figure at all!

Our memories are rubbish these days. I used to know the phone number of every family member, and their car registrations - now, if my phone crashed, I couldn't even phone my mother

This is exactly what's wrong with the way we're taught to drive

Just about everybody, the first time they get in the car after their test, goes blank as to how the heck they're going to get to where they want to go - and as for planning how and where they're going to park as they'll have to WALK the last bit, well that just doesn't figure at all!

They are beginning to tackle that problem by introducing the "free driving" part of the test, where you're just given the destination and expected to find your way there by following signs.

If anything forums like this seem to attract lazy people. People would rather post on a forum and ask someone to use a search engine for them than just go and do it themselves.

The thing is they'd get a better and quicker answer doing it themselves most of the time.

Its coz we're social creatures and want interaction with others, folk do it unconsciously knowing they'll get smug self righteous answers.

The real lazy ones that don’t even bother with google –

Is Meadowall open today? :hihi:

I can cope with requests when they give full info, but today's pearler just isn't worth replying to, when it's like getting blood from a stone just to get enough info to be able to reply

I suggest 24 hour bans for people who do this

They are beginning to tackle that problem by introducing the "free driving" part of the test, where you're just given the destination and expected to find your way there by following signs.

:hihi:

Its 30+ years since I passed my test and the did that then ………..”At the next roundabout take the correct lane and take us to the park” or something to that affect.

Archived