Kindle/e-reader

Aight, this is wrong in two ways, firstly, any reasonable functionable tablet is going to cost upwards of £400. Kindle, £89.

And secondly, the whole point of an E-Reader is that it's like reading from paper, tablets are back lit and are not meant to be read on for long periods.

Roughly the same price, :loopy:.

And please stop beginning your posts with 'Aight'. You sound like an 11 year old hipster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-M009S-Google-Android-Tablet/dp/B004RAN7VI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AWLZ693JCX72F&s=generic&qid=1327578497&sr=1-1

It will certainly be functional but I'd still rather have the Kindle which does it's one thing perfectly

I saw a Youtube review, it's absolutely awful. There'd just be no point in having it at all. As I say, a reasonably functional tablet will cost around £400.

I could use socks for curtains, doesn't mean they'd be any good.

Or for roughly the same price you can get a tablet and in turn get the kindle app for it.Then you would be able to read books,play games,surf the net etc.Also you wouldn`t be tied into the kindle book format (mobi) and would be able to get them from anywhere (epub) and also have a pdf reader if you liked magazines etc.

Just depends how bothered you would be with a backlit device and a normal kindle would have a much longer battery life.Kindles are good though,i also have one.

As others have said, apart from a tablet being more expensive, reading from an e-reader is a fundamentally different experience, particularly if you're reading outside or in strong sunlight. The screens are set up for text to be legible in a way that it just isn't with a tablet.

Why pay more for a tablet that will strain your eyes, take up more space in your bag and leave you unable to read your book on the beach on holiday (which is probably why you bought it in the first place)?

I saw a Youtube review, it's absolutely awful. There'd just be no point in having it at all. As I say, a reasonably functional tablet will cost around £400.

I could use socks for curtains, doesn't mean they'd be any good.

There are a fair few Amazon reviews which would disagree with that. It depends what you want it for. If you wanted something cheap to read e-books, PDFs, Kindle books as well as occasionally surf the internet with full functionality then it wouldn't be a bad purchase.

There are plenty of tablets available for under £130 or so.

However, if you just want to read books, buy dedicated e-reader

E readers have screens that are not backlit making them a lot easier on the eyes. You can also get an open source free program called Calibre that allows you to convert books between formats like mobi to epub or pdf to txt or whatever. The battery life is a hell of a lot longer between recharges using an e book too.

I've had my Kindle for about 18 months and wouldn't be without it. It's easy to download books, and simple to use. I also have a tablet with the kindle app. It's heavier to hold and harder to read. A colleague of mine has a cheaper version e-reader and everything seems so slow - page turning and downloading are more sluggish. There is no competition, Kindle wins hands down.

Archived