Kindle/e-reader

If you go to WH Smiths you will see the Kobo on display which is very similar but has the advantage of open source book buying and different reading formats like pdf. The Kindle books can only be purchased through Amazon. Amazon is the biggest book supplier but you may be limiting the use.

So are you saying you can't read PDFs on a Kindle? If you are, you're wrong.

I have to say I am not yet sold on an e-reader even though I love new tech and have been an early adopter in the past.

I have a library card and access to the on-line search & reserve system

http://library.sheffield.gov.uk/uhtbin/webcat

Any book I feel like reading , I lookup and add to my reserve list and they deliver it to Broomhill library and send me a message to tell me it is ready...

All for free...

Until e-books drop in price drastically , I will stick to old fashioned real books.

Aight, this is wrong in two ways, firstly, any reasonable functionable tablet is going to cost upwards of £400. Kindle, £89.

And secondly, the whole point of an E-Reader is that it's like reading from paper, tablets are back lit and are not meant to be read on for long periods.

Roughly the same price, :loopy:.

You do know you don`t have to buy an ipad to have a fully functioning tablet that does everything you want.:loopy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-M009S-Capacitive-Gingerbread-Responsive/dp/B006M07X34/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1327584192&sr=1-1

Read the reviews.

You do know you don`t have to buy an ipad to have a fully functioning tablet that does everything you want.:loopy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-M009S-Capacitive-Gingerbread-Responsive/dp/B006M07X34/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1327584192&sr=1-1

Read the reviews.

Yep as I say, I could use a pair of socks as curtains but they wouldn't be very good.

Vis-à-vis, you have not yet passed your forklift drivers test.

Yep as I say, I could use a pair of socks as curtains but they wouldn't be very good.

Vis-à-vis, you have not yet passed your forklift drivers test.

Apple fanboy.I get it.There are tons of tablets below £400 that are very good.Just bad information you are giving out.

I don't get this idea of lcd tablets being somehow comparable with eInk displays?

The eInk technology employed in dedicated eReaders is a completely different display technology that uses virtually no power, keeps the image on screen when powered off, and uses microscopic bi-coloured spheres to replicate the experience of reading print on paper with very very fine resolution but only black and white.

LCD tablets use traditional backlit displays that drink power, deliver full colour moving images and use pixel smoothing to display text, which is more difficult to focus on (I switch smoothing off for that reason)

Apple fanboy.I get it.There are tons of tablets below £400 that are very good.Just bad information you are giving out.

I'm not an Apple fan boy, you can get good non-Apple tablets, but if they're well below the £400 mark, they're going to be sub standard products.

If you don't charge a lot for the tablet, you can't afford to put decent components in it. That's just very simple maths.

I mean the reviews for the tablet you linked are absolutely awful.

I'm not an Apple fan boy, you can get good non-Apple tablets, but if they're well below the £400 mark, they're going to be sub standard products.

If you don't charge a lot for the tablet, you can't afford to put decent components in it. That's just very simple maths.

I mean the reviews for the tablet you linked are absolutely awful.

I`m not even sure if your`e serious.How can 4.5/5 stars be awful.Did you even look at the reviews.I was just suggesting an alternative to a kindle.Like i said i have a kindle.I still find it as easy to read with a tablet as well.

That`s the best selling tablet on Amazon by the way.Must be abysmal.

Tablet bestsellers....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/computers/429892031/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_computers_1_2_last

One of the awful reviews you so obviously read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I bought last year, hands down!, 1 Jan 2012

By

Idiotstuntman "bigashfreakhead" - See all my reviews

This review is from: NATPC M009S Capacitive , 7" , 1.6 GHz Super Slim Android Tablet PC with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and Responsive Capacitive Screen - Flash Player 11.1 - Compatible with BBC iPlayer / Youtube / Amazon Kindle / Facebook - HD 2160P

What a superb piece of kit for the money!

The build quality is excellent.

The screen is very responsive, smooth and crisp.

The battery life is excellent. 3-5 hours at least depending on what you are doing.

Wi-Fi detection and connection is flawless.

The processor does not struggle with anything I have thrown at it yet. Minecraft Lite and Dungeon Defenders Second Wave work effortlessly so I cannot see any other game or app taxing it.

Video playback is superb. Audio is also excellent although the rear facing speaker doesnt really do the job very well at the high level of volume needed when watching video. Its nothing a pair of headphones doesnt solve.

The browser itself is very snappy and handles all web sites effortlessly. Flash content plays flawlessly, including BBC IPlayer and Youtube content.

Android Marketplace works perfectly. Kindle App works perfectly.

The front facing camera works fine although its not brilliant quality. Ive no idea is Skype works or not and probably wont ever try.

My 8gb MicroSD card was in and detected within seconds. Data transfer between the card and the device memory is easy. Transferring data from PC to the device is a breeze too by setting the device to USB storage mode when prompted.

I couldnt ask for anything else.

For anyone buying this and trying to set the timezone to GMT and the Marketplace currency to GBP. Go to settings, Language and Keyboard and set to English (United Kingdom). The device will automatically adjust to GMT and Marketplace will be in GBP next time you load it up.

I was very torn between buying this device or waiting for the Kindle Fire to be released in April for £50 extra. Definately made the right decision.

I`m not even sure if your`e serious.How can 4.5/5 stars be awful.Did you even look at the reviews.I was just suggesting an alternative to a kindle.Like i said i have a kindle.I still find it as easy to read with a tablet as well.

That`s the best selling tablet on Amazon by the way.Must be abysmal.

Tablet bestsellers....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/computers/429892031/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_computers_1_2_last

So what? McDonalds is the best selling restaurant it doesn't mean it's fine dining. If you'd actually read the reviews properly you'd see that the high rated reviewers have had the item a few days, and naturally go to review it as soon as it arrives.

I guess you miss the ones who have had it a few weeks and say things like, "Initially the high marks being given appeared to be justified, but then the glitches started to appear. Lots of problems loading programs, failing to connect."

It really actually sounds like one of the worst tablets I've ever seen to be honest.

Archived