Fireplace / Log Burner / Flue

I've got a big open brick fireplace (with no fire) in the dining room.

Inside the chimney breast is a silver flexible pipe, like the ones that come out of a tumble dryer, but wider. Its tucked up and I haven't pulled it down to look, but is this likely to be a flue type thingy for a fire or a wood burner? I'd pull it down and have a look but I dread to think of what crap will fall out of it :hihi:

Sounds like a flue for sure. I'm no expert, but when I took out an old gas fire something similar sounding was fetched out of the chimney. I've now got a wood burner, and that has a flue, but didn't see it being installed so don't know what it looks like.

Be careful. There could be spiders!!!

There may be an adapter that you could get, I really don't know.

I've got a lovely little cast iron fireplace which I had in the kitchen until i took it out and put in the wood burner. It's small, it would have been a bedroom fireplace I think originally. Just thought I'd mention it, in case you were interested!

this is my job - is it twin wall ? What diameter is it ? If u can pull it down it was never fittd correctly as it should be clamped at the top, if its older than 10 yrs it shouldn't be used again same as if its been used on a fire/backboiler regardless what anyone tells you, to take it out it should be done from the top tho if its single skin it can be unravelled tho thats not recommended - just watch the PM's you get when all the 'experts' get in from work in a bit, and wouldn't be surprised if one of these 'experts' have a pop at me

this is my job - is it twin wall ? What diameter is it ? If u can pull it down it was never fittd correctly as it should be clamped at the top, if its older than 10 yrs it shouldn't be used again same as if its been used on a fire/backboiler regardless what anyone tells you, to take it out it should be done from the top tho if its single skin it can be unravelled tho thats not recommended - just watch the PM's you get when all the 'experts' get in from work in a bit, and wouldn't be surprised if one of these 'experts' have a pop at me

Don't ask me any of this stuff, I don't bloody know :hihi:

All I know is its a huge open brick fireplace, that is original and has stood for 112 years.

Now, the gas fire in the living room is disconnected due to the flues not being wide enough, so they need changing - which I AM NOT DOING

The dining room fire has never had a fire in it, that I know of, but obviously has at some point if the stuffs there for it.

Thinking of just buying this one on eBay for £30 and using it for decorative purposes, as the 5ft wide fireplace being empty is an eyesore!

Diameter of tube is about 15cm I'd say possibly a little more, and it doesn't pull down, its unhooks from the wall and comes down, but the top is connected. Can't see the bottom though, without looking up the chimney as it is tucked away and hooked onto the wall

Archived