Know Athercliffe Common?

bauble

Aaaahhhhh, why didn't you say so before?

Perhaps Lound was only the owner of the gun?

If the gun was made in e.g. Birmingham, that would explain why attercliffe was spelled wrong too - lack of local knowledge ;)

I'd start looking at patterns for guns from the Birmingham gunsmiths, and see if you get a match ;) (Birmingham - only because I believe that it was a large centre for gun making)

On second thoughts - I'm fairly certain there was some gun place that can be seen from the train from sheffield out to Meadowhall :suspect:, but for some reason I suspect it's not so much a manufacturer, but a barrel proofer (kinda thing).

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I lived in Carbrook during the 40s and 50s and I cannot for the life of me remember a gunsmiths.

It wasn't the most law-abiding place in those days and as an ex PC I don't think a gunsmith would have been allowed premises there.

The one I knew was by the bus station towards West Bar near the motorbike shop.

I think the suggestion that a Birmingham maker allowed someone's name to be engraved is a likely answer.

Archived