Is it curtains for Ed Miliband as Labour leader? "I'll give him a year"

It's a particularly acute problem for Labour. Regardless of Ed Miliband's faults, who of their shadow cabinet would be doing any better as leader?

Who will stab Ed in the back for stabbing David in the back?

Bring on Direct Democracy I say. In what way does the current system come close to representing the people?

I'd like to vote for ideas, policies, specific actions rather than for one individual to represent everything I believe in .. and to have [him] subject to the party whip and the vested interests that control the parties.

That aside, I'm going to bet (real money) that Ed Milliband does not last another year ...

OK here's the actual bet: £10 says Labour will lose the next election WITHOUT Ed Milliband as leader (3/1 at Paddy Power http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=521531 )

Ed Miliband is a joke, opportunistic and hypocritical.

He's been on the news today slagging off the bonus awarded to the RBS chief yet fails to mention that it was his Labour Government that gave him the contract that entitles him to the said bonus.

Ed Miliband is a joke, opportunistic and hypocritical.

He's been on the news today slagging off the bonus awarded to the RBS chief yet fails to mention that it was his Labour Government that gave him the contract that entitles him to the said bonus.

I'm not really bothered that a top man brought in to rescue a bank that we all have a stake in is paid in accordance with the contract he was offered.

I'm far more worried that Gordon Brown bought £billions of shares in RBS for 57p each and they are currently languishing around 27p. We have a potential loss of many billions and some folks think we should employ some jerk off the streets to look after our interests if it would save £10 grand or so.

I'm not really bothered that a top man brought in to rescue a bank that we all have a stake in is paid in accordance with the contract he was offered.

I'm far more worried that Gordon Brown bought £billions of shares in RBS for 57p each and they are currently languishing around 27p. We have a potential loss of many billions and some folks think we should employ some jerk off the streets to look after our interests if it would save £10 grand or so.

Totally agree.

If in a couple of years time the shares are worth more than was paid for them Mr Hester will have done his job & his bonus will have been money well spent.

Back to Ed Miliband though. Where was he a few years back saying to Gordon Brown lets not give Mr Hester a contract with bonus clauses in it?

IF in a couple of years time the shares are worth more than was paid for them Mr Hester will have done his job & his bonus will have been money well spent.

In the meantime Mr Hester, here's a million quid to supplement your meagre income ... hope you can find some time to develop the arboretum in your 350 acre estate in Oxfordshire

PS Nick Clegg has said it would cost more to rip up the RBS contracts rather than to simply accept them ... no matter how unpalatable.

All guaranteed bonuses should be made illegal, whether in a private or publicly owned company.

All payments should either be salary or performance related and discretionary.

Give shareholders some power over rogue execs. Somebody needs to rein in the unjustifiable and widening inequality in pay.

Back to Ed Miliband though. Where was he a few years back saying to Gordon Brown lets not give Mr Hester a contract with bonus clauses in it?

Totally agree. Where was anyone in Labour or elsewhere opposing these excesses?

Good to hear Boris Johnson saying these payments are totally unjustifiable ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9043366/Boris-Johnson-brands-RBS-chiefs-bonus-absolutely-bewildering.html

Totally agree. Where was anyone in Labour or elsewhere opposing these excesses?

Good to hear Boris Johnson saying these payments are totally unjustifiable ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9043366/Boris-Johnson-brands-RBS-chiefs-bonus-absolutely-bewildering.html

There is a certain hypocracy about a government that appoints someone to the job of running a bank they have effectively nationalised and then carps about him taking the payments they offered in that contract.

The Unions created the Labour party to give us a voice in Parliament.

We have a perfect right to have a say who is the leader of it.

BTW, go easy on the insults.

Words like 'gullible' and 'turnips', can easily cause offence.

Yes and company bosses and rich people have every right to back the tories.

BTW how do you feel about "backstabber" or "nasallychallenged numpty"?

There is a certain hypocracy about a government that appoints someone to the job of running a bank they have effectively nationalised and then carps about him taking the payments they offered in that contract.

"They" being the Labour government?

Archived