Leaking Brickwork.

Any builder types on here who could offer advice.. Has any one ever had leaking brick work. One of my relatives who lives on a gable end which is always hit by wind and rain was told by a builder that her brickwork needs sealing, not re-pointing between the red brick, but actualy the bricks themselves need coating with sealer. Is it genuine - or a bit of a fiddle.

Cheers

Angel.

Any builder types on here who could offer advice.. Has any one ever had leaking brick work. One of my relatives who lives on a gable end which is always hit by wind and rain was told by a builder that her brickwork needs sealing, not re-pointing between the red brick, but actualy the bricks themselves need coating with sealer. Is it genuine - or a bit of a fiddle.

Cheers

Angel.

I've never heard of brickwork in good condition needing sealing. I guess the brickwork is a bit worn and the faces are eroding, therefore more likely to soak water up, and then through to the inside causing damp..

If the bricks have been exposed to rain/wet conditions for a length of time they become porous allowing any future water to soak through causing internal damp, I assume the builder has recommended the sealer as some form of "tanking" against future problems, so not a rip off but agree with others that repointing would be needed as well.

my neighbour has the same problem even though the brickwork has been pointed and the window re-sealed. the brickwork was waterproofed this week so let's see if it works.

Just had mine waterproofed, but also needed a new cap on it, rained for two days now...fingers crossed, won;t know for a while as slow seepage was the problem

Archived