Archery in South Yorkshire

There's a a few in Rotherham, most require you to undertake a GNAS approved 6 week 'beginners course' before you can become a full member.

3 Clubs off the top of my head..

Dearne Valley Archers, probably a bit of a trek for you based out towards Thurnscoe (able to offer starter courses/equipment for training at a cost of £25 for a 6 week course) - is where I'm headed tomorrow night :)

Greenman Archers, Swinton, Rotherham - they can't offer courses at present but will accept members who have a certificate from a GNAS affiliated club.

Chantry Bowmen, probably closest you they charge £35 for the starter course. Based at Aston Leisure Centre.

BTW, I'm making the assumption that you're new to Archery? The advice I've been given is not to buy any equipment till you've done your course. Then you'll have a proper informed idea of what suits you best. If not.. then just ignore me and join any of the above ;)

• 1 month later...

And if you feel the urge for a more challenging set of targets, why not take up re-enactment with a group with a good archery unit? The live targets you'll be shooting at will be coming at you in armour and with weapons...

Knights In Battle are getting ready for the new season - come along and say hello if you are interested in something different to standard target archery. But you will need to become a longbow or crossbow archer to do it on the field!

• 4 weeks later...

There is Sherwood Forresters Longbow Archery club aswell.

As the name suggests we are longbow only, but we are based close by in Barlborough. We run have-a-go sessions and beginers courses virtually every weekend and supply the kit you will need.

Stuart

If you're still looking for an archery club then you could try Aardwolf Archers in South East Sheffield. The clubs only been established 8 months and already has a membership approaching 50 archers and a junior section of 10 youngsters.

We are Archery GB and OnTarget registered and affiliated to Yorkshire Archery Association and Northern Counties Archery Society. We hold beginners courses indoors or outdoors throughout the year. All our new archers and juniors are encouraged to particpate in the Archery GB Progress Awards Scheme and coaching is ongoing once you join the club.

Theres more information by typing Aardwolf Archers into google and either looking on the website or blogspot.

Archived