So is 6000 'subway' jobs going to ease unemployment?

I'm with Mr Smith (post #6) on this. Surely there's a limit to the number of sandwiches a nation can eat, thus, more Subways opening is likely to lead to other sandwich shops losing business, laying off staff and perhaps closing. It's not so much extra jobs being created as much as a migration of workers from one retail outlet to another.

Yeah, actually you're right! Never thought of it like that!

But it was the way someone on TV last night was 'harping' on about it, as though it was the saviour of UK unemployment, that's what wound me up. :rant:

The majority of these positions being created will be minimum wage. Subway, for economic reasons, has a policy of only paying minimum wage for the most common type of employee in its stores, which are:

'Sandwich Artists' (the people who make the subs, serve them and keep the store clean).

Team Leaders and managers are paid more. Each Subway store is a franchise.

A local independent cafe has opened near me, I would rather patronise that, than a subway. Better food at a better price.

I always try to shop locally. At the local butchers, greengrocers, paper shop and local cafe's too rather than go to a supermarket and buy far more stuff than I actually wanted or need. So they're slightly more expensive, but you save in the long run because you actually only get what you need!

Your attitude shows exactly what's wrong with country. If you are unemployed you should not have the right to choose which job you want to do, you should take whatever you're offered.

It explains why Tesco advertises its vacancies in Slovakia because it cannot get local people to do the jobs because they would rather toss it off on benefits.

Of course the result is a load of local layabouts moaning about lack of jobs and foreign workers on local forums.

I always try to shop locally. At the local butchers, greengrocers, paper shop and local cafe's too rather than go to a supermarket and buy far more stuff than I actually wanted or need. So they're slightly more expensive, but you save in the long run because you actually only get what you need!

I've actually found some of my local shops now sell quite a lot of things that are better quality and cheaper than the supermarket.

Archived