"Join us on Facebook"? - not with my embarassing wall!

I was reading about a new local organisation and followed their link to join them on Facebook.

I do have an account, but rarely use it.

On following the "Join us on Facebook link" my wall came up.

Jeez - what is all that embarassing stuff on my wall? And the worst of it at the very top ... "Do you have a dirty mind?" with a photo of what appears to be a pierced *******.

So I started to block the offenders and then figured - what's the point of having an online social network of friends where you have to block your "friends"?

My real friends don't use Facebook to talk to me. [i've just organised a weekend away in The Lakes in May - that's how we stay in touch - personally, face to face, by phone].

So, although I'd love to join this new organisation online using Facebook, I'd rather they didn't judge me by my "friends" online sense of humour.

Social media is for losers (like me, and my friends? ...

), so I'm not inclined to introduce myself to a serious political activity group using my lame social media profile ...

Advice please! Any similar experiences? And will Facebook peak anytime soon so we can get back to sane human interactions?

I know! Maybe the pic got under the radar because it's not what it appears to be (I didn't spend any time figuring what it actually was)

Anyway. To the right of the 'offensive' thing is a dropdown menu box where you can remove the post, or all the posts from that person or whatever. It wouldn't take long to clear them up.

Sounds more like user error on your part I'm afraid! :hihi:

I have to agree :thumbsup:

We have in-laws in Dubai , from my name you can see I am a Grandad, without facebook how would we get pictures and videos of what’s happing thousands of miles away.

Facebook like the internet in general is an excellent tool when used with caution. if people don’t know who their “friends” are or worse still have their settings set to accept friends of friends these things will happen.

Anyway. To the right of the 'offensive' thing is a dropdown menu box where you can remove the post, or all the posts from that person or whatever. It wouldn't take long to clear them up.

It's no big deal. The point is ... do I want to keep on top of this maintenance in order to ensure a clean profile used for membership of a serious organisation?

FB for friends? ... hmmm not convinced although I know a lot of people get a lot out of it.

FB as credentials for membership of other organisations? ... please, NO.

A lot of it is down to the scammy Facebook apps, some will post on all your friend's walls just because you clicked on some 'survey', or whatever.

As a result I block nearly every Facebook app that I see, then they can't spam my wall.

Shouldn't have to do that, Facebook should clean it's act up & sort out which apps are allowed on Facebook or not & what they're allowed to do.

Facebook is much better than Twitter I think...Its useful to stay in touch with people we no longer see. You don't have to be best buddies to want to stay in touch. I'm still in touch with people I worked with years ago and its good to see how they're going on, having kids, getting married etc.......

Archived