A Shock When I Woke Up!!

old tup

Here is another drift down memory lane to the 50s when I was a young Tup around 7yrs old,it was in one of those long hot summers we seemed to have in those days or is it looking back with rose tinted glasses on but they always seemed hot to me!.It was around the time I was always going missing driving my parents nuts,anyway in the daytime all the young uns round Owlerton used to go to the dog track to help Frank Vary raking the track,whitewashing the tyres on the crash barriers and various odd jobs which Frank would reward us with free tickets pop and sometimes ice cream.This certain day Thursday it was it was boiling hot we were wearing our khahi shorts and plimsoles thats all,after a while I was well knackered and I thought sod it I,m having a kip so I wandered into the centre of the track where the grass was long and cool and curled up and nodded off.The next thing I heard all this marching music and woke up,it was dark and I was disorientated there were bright lights,I stood up and I saw a crowd of people laughing and pointing at me,the bloody speedway meeting was just starting.I must have been asleep hours.Eventualy someone recognised me and took me home to our cottage 500yds behind the stadium,on arrival my mother was crying the coppers were there[again]and our old man was out searching for me ,when he came home I received a warm welcome I couldn,t sit down for a week,another scrape caused by my sleeping habits!!.:hihi::hihi::D

Archived