Quick question re off-roading a car

I'm in a dilemma as to whether to keep my car or not - my 20 year old son is an additional driver and the insurance premiums are crippling given his age etc..

Neither of us use the car for work, so for 95% of the time it's just parked up on the road.

I am tempted to sell it because we could manage without it, but I'm also loathe to do that as it seems so final and I've always had a car.

If I off-roaded it, would I still need to insure it? There's no finance outstanding on it or anything, so I'm just wondering whether to off-road it for a while til finances improve.

Does an off-roaded vehicle need to be insured? I realise if it get's nicked, I'm stuffed but that's very unlikely where I'm thinking of.

Any advice welcomed.

you will miss it badly, i gave my car up for insurance purposes two months ago, and i really hate taking the bus, and having to arrange when and how i leave the house and do anything, if your 40+ as well then if you can keep the car by any other means please do, you will be glad you did.

I'm in a dilemma as to whether to keep my car or not - my 20 year old son is an additional driver and the insurance premiums are crippling given his age etc..

Neither of us use the car for work, so for 95% of the time it's just parked up on the road.

I am tempted to sell it because we could manage without it, but I'm also loathe to do that as it seems so final and I've always had a car.

If I off-roaded it, would I still need to insure it? There's no finance outstanding on it or anything, so I'm just wondering whether to off-road it for a while til finances improve.

Does an off-roaded vehicle need to be insured? I realise if it get's nicked, I'm stuffed but that's very unlikely where I'm thinking of.

Any advice welcomed.

If you keep your car off road, in your drive etc, and don't use or park on the road you will have to fill in a Statutory Off Road Notification and send it to the DVLA, otherwise you will, by law, have to insure it.

If you don't there is a fine.

Will your insurance company charge you a cancellation fee if the insurance hasn't expired ?

Hiya Davyboy,

The insurance is due at the end of March which is why I'm trying to plan ahead.

So, as long as it's off the public highways, I don't have to insure it?

ETA - I get the tax thing re SORN, but I'm really asking about insurance.

You don't have to insure it if it's off road (and SORNed) but if it's sitting on your drive is it any less likely to be nicked, broken into or vandalised than when it's sitting on the road?

If it is stolen would you be able to afford to replace it in the event that you decide to keep having a car?

Hiya Medusa

The current car value is about £2k.

The insurance is £1400 ( as of March 2011)

It's one of those gambles - do I sell it, or just off-road it?

Where I'm thinking of off roading is completely off road - very little chance of it being nicked.

Thanks for everyones advice; my question has been answered, so feel free to lock it.

Hiya Medusa

Where I'm thinking of off roading is completely off road - very little chance of it being nicked.

Thanks for everyones advice; my question has been answered, so feel free to lock it.

The SORN bit is correct but that only applies to road tax.You would have thought that it was your own choice whether to insure it or not if kept off road and that certainley used to be the case. I couldn't be certain but I thoght I had read recentley that the law had been changed and it had to be insured even if kept off road. I t doesn't seem right but I would check with my insurance company.

I think that a car kept off road is less likely to be stolen or vandalised as insurance premiums are reduced if you keep your car on the drive at night as opposed to keeping it on the road.

Hiya Medusa

Sell it and hire a car if you need one. No tax no insurance no hassle. Save the money and use taxis for short journeys. Get drunk and no breathalyser worries.

The SORN bit is correct but that only applies to road tax.You would have thought that it was your own choice whether to insure it or not if kept off road and that certainley used to be the case. I couldn't be certain but I thoght I had read recentley that the law had been changed and it had to be insured even if kept off road. I t doesn't seem right but I would check with my insurance company.

I think that a car kept off road is less likely to be stolen or vandalised as insurance premiums are reduced if you keep your car on the drive at night as opposed to keeping it on the road.

Hence why I asked for people who will know for definite.

Archived