The best Sheffielders you have ever met.

cuttsie

\hi \cuttsie

I'm talking about the people I knew who lived on the back streets off each side of Penistone Road from Owlerton Church to the Wednesday Ground.

Happy Days! PopT

Know were you mean Pops.

I remember the time when any player Wednesday signed who was not from Sheffield used to lodge in the stone houses just 100 yards away from the kop.

tina and john pearson- the former landlord and land lady at the noahs ark at crookes.

im an adopted sheffielder, coming to the city first as a student which is when i met tina and john and started working for them.

before then, id never really met any sheffielders (living in halls for 2 years kind of isolates you from the community!) and i simply loved the pub, the regulars, the atmosphere and most of all tinas homemade cauliflower cheese!

i spent 2 very happy years working for the pearsons and it was the warmth and friendliness that i experienced from them and the pub as a whole that cemented sheffield as the place that in my heart i wanted to belong to.

after graduation, i went back to stafford and plotted for 3 years how to get back again....and ive been here since 2004 now and have truly settled.

i cant imagine living anywhere else and its the fabulous people of sheffield that have made it so special.

x

:):)

tina and john pearson- the former landlord and land lady at the noahs ark at crookes.

im an adopted sheffielder, coming to the city first as a student which is when i met tina and john and started working for them.

before then, id never really met any sheffielders (living in halls for 2 years kind of isolates you from the community!) and i simply loved the pub, the regulars, the atmosphere and most of all tinas homemade cauliflower cheese!

i spent 2 very happy years working for the pearsons and it was the warmth and friendliness that i experienced from them and the pub as a whole that cemented sheffield as the place that in my heart i wanted to belong to.

after graduation, i went back to stafford and plotted for 3 years how to get back again....and ive been here since 2004 now and have truly settled.

i cant imagine living anywhere else and its the fabulous people of sheffield that have made it so special.

x

What a nice post sophiec.

I remember Tina and John especialy Tina!

Another Sheffielder that left a lasting impression on me was not a born and bred Shefielder at all but a refugee from Nazi Germany.

I got a call one day in the early eighties to go and have a look at a job that entailed underpinning a large stone gable end on Collegiate Crescent.

When i arrived at the job and knocked the door was opened about six inches and a lady with a foreign accent gave me instructions and handed me some plans as to the work involved.

I thought that this was a little strange but priced the job up and duly got the go ahead to start.

The first day on the job and as usual we got to be thinking if and when we would be getting a cuppa, but as dinner time came round there was no sign so i gave a knock on the back door in the hope of some tea.

The lady who i had met previously again opened the door about six inches and asked me what i wanted to which I asked if she would mind mashing for us.

She opened the door and indicated for me to come in then showed me the kitchen facilities telling me to use them when required .

Over the next week or so i gradually got into a little more conversation with our reticent client , and as i am a nosey sod began to ask her about her accent and standoffishness.

This led to one of the most amazing stories i have ever heard.

It turned out that Mrs Meir had as a young Jewish girl had escaped Nazi Germany at the age of 15 on a train that eventually got her to the French coast and a boat to England.

She had then ended up in Sheffield taken in by a couple who lived on Burngreave Road.

She told me that from the day she left Germany she had never seen or heard from her family again.

Any way it turned out that in Sheffield she gained a family of sorts that although she was grateful to for taking her in were never very loving and close .

She gained an education at Sheffield University and qualified as an Architect later marrying a Doctor who was also a refugee who had made his home in Sheffield but had passed away.

After a few weeks we were on first name terms and Mrs Meir explained to me all about her early childhood in Germany.

She apoligised for being so stand of ish in the first days but told me that in her home town in Germany her family had been very well off and that they had indeed employed domestic helps and gardeners etc. She as a young girl thought that these workers were her friends but in the late 1930, this all changed and it was the very same friends along with other towns people who turned on her family and led to her fleeing Germany and the disapearance of the rest of her family.

Due to these experiances she told me that she had never been able to trust the working class and found it hard to converse with any one out side her own tight nit circle of friends.

Never the less we became good pals over the years and she gave me an insight into a World that I had not thought to much about and on the other hand gained her trust and friendship.

Mrs Meir has now gone now and when I pass that big house at Broomhill[ now offices] I think of her sat playing the piano in her front room alone in the World and just another Sheffielder by chance.

I have been thinking who are the best Sheffielders you have ever met.

I am not talking famous or well known like footballers or M.P,s etc, Just ordinary Joe,s and Joan's, who have crossed your path through life and left a lasting impression.

I also don,t include immediate family members as that would in all probability win every time.

Anyway here goes I will start with Ern the furn.

Earnest lived on Industry St at Walkley and was a Gentleman and scholar,

His job was main Furnace man at one of the big steel works in the East end of Sheffield.

At around about 21 years old i started using a pub on South Road at Walkley ,the pub was called The Rose House.

In the tap room corner used to sit Earnest,flat cap pushed back, tweed coat, and always a white sweat towel scarf as used by furnace men.

I got to be a pal of Ernest through the years and his outlook on life left a lasting impresion on me.

Ern for instance taught me how to talk to people without looking down on any one, he also explained to me how no one ever dies as no part of you can leave the Earth and that we are indeed reincarnated by the very process of dieing.

This was explained to me in great detail and to this day has left me with a sense that there is life after death although not as we would like to think of it and also not anything whatsoever to do with religion.

Ern was also a very generious man and would give you his last penny.He new that i was recently married and skint at that time he also new that i loved all kinds of music and that more than anything i would like a radio gram to play the new Sterio L.P,s that had just come out at that time.

One Saturday walking on South Rd Ern the Furn shouted me to call at his terrace house on Industry St as he had something to show me. I walked down to his place and he showed me in to the front room and there stood the best Sterio Gram i had ever seen with seperate speakers that were three foot high.

Ern put on a record called The Hall of the Mountain Kings [i think that was the title] and the full orchestra sound blasted out ,I had never heard any thing so brilliant in my life.

Anyway when it had played out he said what do you think of that then [Ern always talked like a gentleman never with De Da accent] I told him i was gob smacked with the sound.

Its yours he said, Don,t be daft Ern i replied what do you mean its mine i could never afford that, Take it away said Ern its sat in here and never gets used so its doing no good for any one, you will use it and treasure it and that will make me happy. So thats what happened at that time in my life, Ern is still remembered by me not only for that kindness but for all the chats that we had, me a young knowitall and he a wise old timer that set me on a path through life I have not forgotten.

Any way a daft little story but one that I think Ern the Furn deserves because he is one of the forgotten old Sheffielders who will never have a plaque outside the Town Hall but should have because he was a proper gentleman.

Me and a mate went camping to Edale when we were about 15, some older lads from Birmingham roughed us up a bit and stole our stove and sleeping bags when we confronted them about getting our things back two of em toe capped us full blast on our back sides just enough to make our eyes well up so we ran for the phone box. As we were on the phone home a lady waiting outside heard how distressed we were and when we came off the phone asked us what was wrong, after we told her she demanded we get into her white mercedes and drove us all the way home to pitsmoor and explained all to our parents, turned out she was from Grenoside and had a holiday flat in Derbyshire, after she dropped us off she went straight back - what a lady I will never forget her

Me and a mate went camping to Edale when we were about 15, some older lads from Birmingham roughed us up a bit and stole our stove and sleeping bags when we confronted them about getting our things back two of em toe capped us full blast on our back sides just enough to make our eyes well up so we ran for the phone box. As we were on the phone home a lady waiting outside heard how distressed we were and when we came off the phone asked us what was wrong, after we told her she demanded we get into her white mercedes and drove us all the way home to pitsmoor and explained all to our parents, turned out she was from Grenoside and had a holiday flat in Derbyshire, after she dropped us off she went straight back - what a lady I will never forget her

Memories eh! ugo,

As Shirley Bassey once sang.From the corners of my mind.

In the sixty's I worked on the Hyde Park Flats for the Public Works Dept.

That is when I met another great Sheffielder his name was Albert B.

Albert was a black man and a member of a family who were among the first black family's to live in Sheffield, He was also a boxer and along with his brothers was very respected in and around the Sheffield boxing fraternity.

Anyway it so happened that Albert was paired up with myself and another bricklayer so as to make up a two and one gang, [two bricki,s one hod carrier] .and thats when i found out all about Albert's early life in Sheffield .

Albert used to start work early so as to be in front of us bricklayers when we arrived at eight o clock, Anyway one day i got to work earlier than usual and Albert was sat on a pile of bricks with his wellingtons off,[i had noticed that he always wore wellows] he had not heard me arrive and as i got up close to him i noticed that he was bandaging his leg which was very sore and mattering, Bloody hell Albert I said whats tha done!.

Albert turned to me and replied oh! ah do kid i didn,t know you was there I dont like people to see my sore legs.

I asked what had happened to make them so bad and thats when he told me about his wartime experiences at the hand of the Japanese.

He told me that he had been taken prisoner of war in Burma and made to work clearing the Jungle to build roads and railways all this work was carried out under beatings and torture from the Jap guards, there was also no protection for the bare feet and legs of the prisoners.

This treatment had 20 years later led to Albert now being in a poor state of heath due to the leg ulcers etc.

He also told me about the special treatment that he got from the Jap guards he said that this was due to him being a black man who was also a boxer.

This fact led to the guards egging Albert on to fight who ever they picked be it another prisoner or one of their own so called hard men..

Albert told me that if he had ever found out who among his fellow prisoners had told the Japs that he was a boxer he would have killed him as life was hard enough without the added treatment.

He told me that after the war he had tried to get fit again to have a go at being a pro boxer but never got back to full fitness and had ended up in the boxing booths at fairs and shows, taking on all comers and this, along with his war time experiences had left him in not very good health.

I will never forget that morning on the building site when another story from a proper Sheffielder brought tears to my eyes.

R.I. P. Albert you was a star.

Archived