What went wrong with the metric system in the UK?

Last night I was in a pub contemplating a pint that had cost £2.90 and wondering how much cheaper it would be in a supermarket. The problem is I don't know because supermarkets sell beer in about 20 different measures but a pint is rarely one of them. Yet 40 years ago we had a great system where beer was only sold in pints halves and nips.

Similarly I wonder about how much petrol I need to stick in my car to do a 100 mile journey. It should be simple because the car does 24mpg. Unfortunately I have to buy petrol in litres and I haven't a clue how to work it out.

The whole system is a disaster. You can't even compare theprice of beans in supermarkets because they are packed in 410 grams 420 grams or425 grams. WHY?

What was wrong with eggs costing 3d each so they were 3 bob a dozen. A pint at half a crown meant a skin full cost a quid.

What a shame they cocked it all up.

Nothing went wrong with the metric system, its the same today as it was 20yrs ago. What went wrong for some is their inability to use it, which is a bit weird as it's a much simpler system.

The metric system never took off in the US, although it was tried to get pushed their throats, it was never excepted, i saw no point in it myself, why change something that wasn't broken. :huh:

Yea why make things easier? Saying that, in the USA the money has always been based upon the metric system, so maybe there wasn't the drive that we had here in the UK.

Nothing went wrong with the metric system, its the same today as it was 20yrs ago. What went wrong for some is their inability to use it, which is a bit weird as it's a much simpler system.

Maybe it's nothing more than that good old Yorkshire Mantra - Change is not good.

A quart of a gallon is roughly around one litre. However if the metric system floors you that much you might invest a little money in buying a pocket sized guide to cross reference the two systems

You have smaller gallons.

The metric system never took off in the US, although it was tried to get pushed their throats, it was never excepted, i saw no point in it myself, why change something that wasn't broken. :huh:

It is so much more direct and easy for engineers.

By using such simple units we are able to communiucate internationally.

The old imperial system, with its american and imperial units caused many problems.

Even though you old homesteaders may be using the old imperial units, rest assured you are safe.

Your engineers are up to date and are on the SI units.

It would have been too difficult, too long and too costly to convert to Metrics in a country with a population of 250 million plus.

It was easy for the Canadians. They have a smaller overall population than the state of California even.

I've noticed that packages and bottles now show metrics and lbs/ozs and the auto industyr along with other high tec manufactureres converted to metic sizes long ago.

Schools also teach the metric system but more for educational awareness than for any plans to convert to it

It would have been too difficult, too long and too costly to convert to Metrics in a country with a population of 250 million plus.

It was easy for the Canadians. They have a smaller overall population than the state of California even.

I've noticed that packages and bottles now show metrics and lbs/ozs and the auto industyr along with other high tec manufactureres converted to metic sizes long ago.

Schools also teach the metric system but more for educational awareness than for any plans to convert to it

You must convert though, my friend.

It is not good to stay as an outsider as you are doing.

Your engineers are living in the modern world, it is time you all did as well

Archived