What went wrong with the metric system in the UK?

Last night I was in a pub contemplating a pint that had cost £2.90 and wondering how much cheaper it would be in a supermarket. The problem is I don't know because supermarkets sell beer in about 20 different measures but a pint is rarely one of them. Yet 40 years ago we had a great system where beer was only sold in pints halves and nips.

Similarly I wonder about how much petrol I need to stick in my car to do a 100 mile journey. It should be simple because the car does 24mpg. Unfortunately I have to buy petrol in litres and I haven't a clue how to work it out.

The whole system is a disaster. You can't even compare theprice of beans in supermarkets because they are packed in 410 grams 420 grams or425 grams. WHY?

What was wrong with eggs costing 3d each so they were 3 bob a dozen. A pint at half a crown meant a skin full cost a quid.

What a shame they cocked it all up.

Life is quite fun at times if you ignore the minor impediments you refer to.For example when buying petrol simply fill up and pay.You sound a bit thick in my view or do you do this for sympathy?I would have thought the youth of today would prefer the metric method.

It is so much more direct and easy for engineers.

By using such simple units we are able to communiucate internationally.

The old imperial system, with its american and imperial units caused many problems.

Even though you old homesteaders may be using the old imperial units, rest assured you are safe.

Your engineers are up to date and are on the SI units.

The old imperial system originated in the UK centuries ago and was brought to America by the settlers. Had the French won the Seven Years War we would now probably be using the metric system

As for us "old homesteaders" we get along just fine without metrics. The only time I ever needed metrics was when having to fill up the car across the border in Canada where I have to do a simple calculation of gallons to litres. I dont fill up often on the Canadian side. Their gas prices run around the equivalent of 5.00 dollars a gallon :D

You must convert though, my friend.

It is not good to stay as an outsider as you are doing.

Your engineers are living in the modern world, it is time you all did as well

Why? :( All I would get out of it are higher taxes when some government agency was created to carry out the transition. The oil companies would pass the cost on to me for converting their fuel pumps,( millions amdn millions of them) and the State and the Fed jacking up taxes and road licencing fees to fund the replacement of a billion or so mileage and speed limit signs to Kilometers.

No Thank You ! Keep your metric system. I aint wealthy enough to afford it :D

Why? :( All I would get out of it are higher taxes when some government agency was created to carry out the transition. The oil companies would pass the cost on to me for converting their fuel pumps,( millions amdn millions of them) and the State and the Fed jacking up taxes and road licencing fees to fund the replacement of a billion or so mileage and speed limit signs to Kilometers.

No Thank You ! Keep your metric system. I aint wealthy enough to afford it :D

No problem mate carry on.

Seriously Now, as they say, it seems some of of you do not understand the SI system..

You really must get up to date on this or you will be the loser.

Quite agree. I learned the metric system even if I have no practical use for it. Knowledge is never wasted as they say.

You didn't have a population of 250 million plus. When metric was invented the population of the USA wasn't even a tenth of that.

I don't see how population numbers is relevant as an argument 3million?20million? If one can transition so can five...and so on. The transition wouldn't be an immediate requirement anyway. We still work in miles after 40 yrs, I don't think any part of our road system uses kilometres. I guess our system just caters for those who find a simple system complicated more so than the previous complicated one.

Archived