Any posties on here?

When you arrive home to discover the red card has been left as the postie couldnt delver a package - it usually says you've got to wait 48 hours before collecting. I'm curious to know where the packages go for two days before going back to the sorting office a mile away from my house.

Anyone know?

Something definately changed a few years ago, I think around the same time when the royal mail remodelled their entire delivery schedule and walk routines to cut staffing. You know, when your first class post used to get to your letter box around 08:00 - 10:00. And nowadays it turns up much much later, 12:00 - 14:00 roughly for me.

So yeah, before the change, I would get a card say 09:00 and sometimes chance it, get to the delivery office before closing at 12:00 and with some luck the postie had returned from his round and left them with the undelivered stuff.

I think now, because they deliver so late, the delivery office is actually closed when the rounds have finished, so undelivered items now either stay in the postie's van until the next day, or get returned to the mail centre before it gets back to the delivery office. Or something like that anyway.

A lot of the vans go straight back to the mail centre on Brightside Lane, not to the delivery office. All the 739s (as they are known) are then resorted to get sent back to the delivery office (usually the next day) ready for collection.

That's why it states 48 hours. Some do go straight back to the delivery office, but most don't, so the 48 hour guideline is to try and avoid a wasted journey for the customer.

Hope that helps.

Archived