My Opinion Of Religion!!

I am not in the least bit religious from an early age it was compulsory to have religious lessons at school, to me the stories from the bible were like fairy tales.My father was Roman Catholic coming from Irish stock due to his experiances as a child he would have nothing to do with the church,I was taught the church of England faith.As I,ve grown I formed my opinion by reading history which I love learning about all the wars through the centuries,the crusades for instance and the missionaries forcing their beliefs onto nations the world over.One thing I believe religion has killed more people in this world than anything else since time began,every warlike nation believed that God was on their side which was impossible,thats my opinion what say you ,right or wrong??.:roll::huh:

I believe religion has killed more people in this world than anything else since time began

No that's silly.

That's not to say religion isn't a force for bad, and that lots of bad things have done because of religion. But they simply cannot compete with the scales of killings that took place in the 20th century due to various political ideologies.

All religion is superstition and fantasy - Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Bhuddism, etc. Sadly a lot of power and vested interest is now well established in organised religion, and rival superstition and fantasies battle it out between themselves for control of resources, land, people, etc. But if people are stupid enough to believe in god and other superstition then the human race will carry on doing stupid things.

I am not going to defend the fact that I am a Christian.....but I will defend my right to hold my beliefs. We are all given free will and therefore we can choose what to believe in be it God, buddha, or little green men from outer space.

I have always acknowledged that there have been many wrongs perpetrated in this world in the name of religion but I question whether the perpetrators were in fact doing it for their own ends but thought saying it was in the name of God gave them an excuse.

The Bible, the Koran, the Torah are all books written generations ago and open to interpretation in different ways and different groups within a religion will define its rules in different ways. A Catholic will interpret the words of the Bible differently to a Methodist who in turn will interpret it differently to a Jehovahs Witness.

I have always acknowledged that there have been many wrongs perpetrated in this world in the name of religion but I question whether the perpetrators were in fact doing it for their own ends but thought saying it was in the name of God gave them an excuse.

I think in a lot of cases its usually both.

Take the Crusades for example. Now the pope and his buddies almost called it for political reasons, however the 1000s of people who signed up and went along did so mostly for religious reasons.

I am not going to defend the fact that I am a Christian.....but I will defend my right to hold my beliefs. We are all given free will and therefore we can choose what to believe in be it God, buddha, or little green men from outer space.

The Bible, the Koran, the Torah are all books written generations ago and open to interpretation in different ways and different groups within a religion will define its rules in different ways. A Catholic will interpret the words of the Bible differently to a Methodist who in turn will interpret it differently to a Jehovahs Witness.

Agreed, but they will all argue that their way is the truthful way, and therefore the only way.

I am not in the least bit religious from an early age it was compulsory to have religious lessons at school, to me the stories from the bible were like fairy tales.My father was Roman Catholic coming from Irish stock due to his experiances as a child he would have nothing to do with the church,I was taught the church of England faith.As I,ve grown I formed my opinion by reading history which I love learning about all the wars through the centuries,the crusades for instance and the missionaries forcing their beliefs onto nations the world over.One thing I believe religion has killed more people in this world than anything else since time began,every warlike nation believed that God was on their side which was impossible,thats my opinion what say you ,right or wrong??.:roll::huh:

Is this thread about your right to any opinion, or your right to a religious opinion? Or just a need to be heard?

Its all there Skinz you work it out just my opinion thats all nothing more!.:roll:

But it's your opinion. Are you wanting debate as to the validity of your opinion or do you want debate on opinions? You don't need facts to have an opinion.

Personally I think your opinion on the subject of religion is a tad infantile regardless of you being right or wrong.

Fair enough Skinz thats your opinion and your entitled to it as I,m entitled to mine its just what I think so lets beg to differ I just wonder what other people think about the subject thats all I,m not out for a slagging off contest!.:cool:

Archived