Wincobank rapist sentenced

Rupert, the issue as far as I've seen it reported is that the Czech police did not submit him to a watch list which would have allowed us to refuse him entry.

Now I'm assuming as the UK and Ireland are the only UK countries who will have these watch lists in place as the rest of the EU is in Schengen. Bearing that in mind these EU countries are presumably ignoring what is a requirement or request from the UK to log details of this kind of offender with us. Which raises the very simple question of, if they are not doing that, why are we not looking at suspending our immigration agreements with them?

You make the point about sex offenders being missing here, but for a start 'sex offenders' (although all the crimes are abhorrent) does cover a myriad of things and may include a flasher who's just gone to live with his new girlfriend in Spain and stopped signing the register or even an EU national who has simply returned home, we just don't know the details.

The important thing in this case is the seriousness of the offending and the repeat offending. A murderer and a rapist being allowed to enter the country with no monitoring is a hell of a lot different.

We may not know how well our system is working but judging by what you have posted somebody who committed these types of crime in the UK would at least have been noted as missing and placed on watch lists. It appears neither of these things were done by the Czech's so clearly we're accepting people from a system which proves unsatisfactory in comparison with ours.

Well that's a good point but we know how many we have had to put in our prisons and if only a percentage of criminals get caught you cannot help but show concern and want to have something done about it.

I'm sure a clever bloke like you will dig some statistics up for us to show how many foreign nationals are now housed in our prison system, how many are violent offences and how many get deported back ect.

Sarkysod's a clever bloke. ;)

I'm not sure you'll put MY mind at rest or be able to show ME that MY concerns are unfounded given that I know personally that the make up of our prison population has changed dramatically over a very short space of time.

I'm not trying to argue that foreigners don't commit crime - and they, along with Britons who belong to ethnic minorities, do make up a disproportionally large percentage of the prison population.

This thread isn't about the makeup of the prison population, that's worthy of a thread of its own.

It is about why a known offender who had committed violent and sexual crimes managed to get into the UK without detection.

I suggest that systems should be introduced which would allow UKBA (and the Police and the other members of MAPPA) to identify such people. The first place at which the checks should be made would be at the point of entry to the UK.

When I come to the UK, I don't have to tell anybody where I'm going to stay, I don't have to register my address when I get there. - Nor do you.

When I go to other countries I do have to register my address. I don't find that to be an invasion of my privacy. Once a criminal (or an illegal immigrant) gets into the UK, then provided (s)he keeps her/his head low, (s)he's home and dry ... until after the offence has been committed and (s)he's been caught.

If there was a system in place which allowed, in the first instance, the UKBA to determine that an individual had a record of serious crime, then that person could be detained and a decision could be made whether or not to allow that person to enter the country.

Such a system would require international cooperation and I've no doubt that although many people in the UK would be quite happy for the British authorities to have access to the records of foreigners, there would be an outcry from the same people if the British government released their details to the authorities in other countries.

To be more exact its 6.6% of population and 12.9% in prisons, just in case someone points that out.

Then I get lost somewhat in the stats...

What's this mean ?

At 30 June 2010, the latest published data, over one-quarter of the prison population whose ethnicity was recorded were from a minority ethnic group. Among British nationals 20% of the population were from a minority ethnic group. 66% of foreign national prisoners were from a minority ethnic group.

I'm probably mistaken but its still not looking great.

6% foreign nationals make up the total population in the UK.

12% foreign nationals make up the population in our Prisons.

Not looking good to me, anyone else ?

So that means 94% of British nationals make up the total population in the U.K. and 88% of the population in our prisons.

Surely the figures speak for them self,deport British nationals? Hasn't that already been tried?

My point is that it shows that it disproportionate between the percentage of population and the percentage of the make up of inmates in our prisons so that is saying we do have a problem here.

Put on top of that the fact that National citizens are easier to track, have a history that can be traced and we have records of previous conviction, it makes you wonder just what the disproportion is between actual crime and foreign nationals. We will never know probably.

So that means 94% of British nationals make up the total population in the U.K. and 88% of the population in our prisons.

Surely the figures speak for them self,deport British nationals? Hasn't that already been tried?

Shouldn't that be 94% British nationals in our prisons if we had a grip on immigration ?

Deport British nationals to Britain ??

its looking like percentage-wise, there will be more foreign ethnics in our jails than british nationals, then there's brit nationals of foreign descent, (still ethnics) as i've said before don't blame them, (a prison cell here is better than the filth of their home countries) blame our government for letting these wonderful individuals in - still as one poster previously said albeit sarcastically something like 'having a few murderers and rapists is a small price to pay the wonderful influx (more like invasion) of ethnics we've let in here :)

Archived