The Scandalous Waste Of Food!!

Before I threw the towel in and retired all my working life was in the food industry namely baking manufacturing,at first as a wholesale driver salesman and for the last 15yrs as a HGV 1 delivery driver.As a salesman you had to be very keen on waste management as your weekly wages were docked a percentage after a certain total,over the years I came to hate wasting anything!.When I started as a HGV driver we delivered to the mega giant wharehouses of Tesco ,Sainsburys,Asda,Morrisons,Brake Bros etc. all over the country.As I came onto the loading areas of these companies you would notice pallets put to one side sometimes up to a dozen mostly fruit or veg,oranges,cucumbers,lettuce and such.On enquiring what was wrong with them it was[Rejected cause the oranges were not a uniform size]or the same for cucumbers or the potatoes were too dirty,I used to see tons and tons of good fresh food thrown into skips on a daily basis a scandal in my eyes I,m sure most housewives couldn,t care less about a bit of dirt on a spud or different shaped fruit,the firm delivering stood the loss not the Tesco,s of this world.Another source of waste was the firm I worked for,they had state of the art computers to work out ingredients and baking times for all products but day after day they over produced pallets at a time.It was all fresh but it was date stamped so into the skip,the rotation system in the freezers was not worked right so every week we delivered 20 tons of out of date produce to pig food processers in Barnsley,although some ended up at HM prisons .Nobody seemed to give a monkeys a bloody scandal what do Forum members say??:rant::rant::loopy:

Theres an excellent documentary that gets shown on Current TV now and again presented by Richard Corrigan about food waste.

According to that in the UK we waste 1500 loaves of bread every 5 minutes and that equivalent of 150 supermarket trollies of food every hour or something like that.

Thats pretty shocking by any standard

I hate waste too! - what really makes me angry is the fresh stuff which is dumped around the supermarket by people who have changed their mind, and are too idle to go and put it back in the fridge - or the people who dump things in the freezers, when they are not supposed to be frozen.

Ultimately, it all adds to the costs and puts prices up!

I hate waste too! - what really makes me angry is the fresh stuff which is dumped around the supermarket by people who have changed their mind, and are too idle to go and put it back in the fridge - or the people who dump things in the freezers, when they are not supposed to be frozen.

Ultimately, it all adds to the costs and puts prices up!

This gets my goat too.. But you and I both know that the amount of waste caused by customers is miniscule compared to the amount of waste that gets thrown away because of the best before dates/use by dates etc..

What makes me laugh are the BB dastes on stuff like fruit.

The BB date is usualy up before the fruit is actualy ripe :loopy:

I totally agree Mr Moran and I would add, Who in their right mind would pay any attention to BB dates on canned or bottled goods ? Tree huggers thats who...

What makes me laugh are the BB dastes on stuff like fruit.

The BB date is usualy up before the fruit is actualy ripe :loopy:

I was given 4 avocados from a friend who works in ASDA. He'd picked them up for 20p because they on the BB date. I think I ate the first one a fortnight later and the fourth a month later.

I totally agree Mr Moran and I would add, Who in their right mind would pay any attention to BB dates on canned or bottled goods ? Tree huggers thats who...

'Tree huggers' are more likely to be interested in NOT wasting food (through BB dates or anything else) than someone who doesn't care about the environment.

You must have some issues to try to cast the blame that way.

Archived