Do shops have to give a receipt

spider1

Same in a lot of fast food outlets, you don't get a receipt, but a manager has to be called to get you one upon request. It annoys the staff, try it 8)

I used to get one back when I claimed expenses for one of my old jobs, they got mardy about it but I insisted for my expenses... It was less than 3 quid but it's the principle :hihi:

:( Went in a shop today a general store in S13 An lady A>O>P in front of me bought several items and put them on the counter to pay. The assistant punched the items in the till and said 20 pounds 60 pence. No its not said the O.A.P check it. The cashier got a calculator out and put items in that and said 12 pounds 20 pence. No apology given. This shop never gives anybody receipt . Are they supposed to. Next person in queue had there items put through till no problems I think all shops should be made to give a receipt by law so siblings can check the receipt for vunerable people :help::help::help:

this was clearly a fraud attempt by the assistant, let the store manager know what you witnessed.

the idea of prices ending in 9p or 5p is to prevent staff not putting goods through the tills properly and pocketting your cash. the idea was to force them to open the till to give you the change, hence having to put your banknote into the till instead of their pocket.

harder to do with card payments.

i've seen staff overcharge a customer then adjust the till to delete transaction and enter correct amount so they can pocket the difference. palming your change in still practised in many places where change is shown to you for checking, then a coin of two is held back as they drop the change into your hand.

as much thieving is done by staff as by shoplifters.

If they do not issue a receipt their HMRC returns are likely to be wrong.

Why's that..just because you don't get a bit of paper in your hand doesn't mean the transaction hasn't been recorded..? Or does it? Sometimes the "Pay at pump" petrol stations don't issue receipts (maybe the printer is faulty or run out of paer)..do you think they're all on the fiddle?

If they do not issue a receipt their HMRC returns are likely to be wrong.I insist on a receipt and would report anyone not issuing one,or request a refund at once.

You realise the bit of paper you get is your receipt, the shop also has one. So if they bin your copy they aren't defrauding the crown.

If you ask for a receipt they have to give one, but unless they want to they don't have to give it automatically.

a receipt as to be given by law for any legal transaction

People who think they know their rights who actually no absolutely nothing are the worst people in the world.

I bet you're one of the "It's marked up at this price so you have to sell it me for that price" crew.

Hahahaha get out of my shop before I laugh my lungs up.

Without looking it up in law books I'm not sure whether or not a business (e.g. shop) has to issue a receipt. Personally, I imagine they have to incase you need to return a faulty 'whatever you've purchased' back to the shop. Without a receipt you have no proof you bought the 'goods' from that shop.

While we're on about receipts how many of you know it's unlawful in Great Britain for a shop, or any other business, to refuse you a 'REFUND?' If you purchase something and decide within 14 days that you don't want it, so long as you haven't used whatever you purchased you are allowed to take it back and ask for your payment to be refunded. If the business owner, or their manager, or assistant refuses to give you a refund 'THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW'. Report them immediately.

Archived