Do shops have to give a receipt

spider1

:( Went in a shop today a general store in S13 An lady A>O>P in front of me bought several items and put them on the counter to pay. The assistant punched the items in the till and said 20 pounds 60 pence. No its not said the O.A.P check it. The cashier got a calculator out and put items in that and said 12 pounds 20 pence. No apology given. This shop never gives anybody receipt . Are they supposed to. Next person in queue had there items put through till no problems I think all shops should be made to give a receipt by law so siblings can check the receipt for vunerable people :help::help::help:

-------

HI YA, Sounds dodgy to me spider no receipt, Hmm. :huh:

While we're on about receipts how many of you know it's unlawful in Great Britain for a shop, or any other business, to refuse you a 'REFUND?' If you purchase something and decide within 14 days that you don't want it, so long as you haven't used whatever you purchased you are allowed to take it back and ask for your payment to be refunded. If the business owner, or their manager, or assistant refuses to give you a refund 'THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW'. Report them immediately.

I am inclined to say RUBBISH, although I am happy for you to prove me wrong,

You don't have any rights to a refund if you just change your mind or bought the wrong size. But many shops will offer you an exchange as goodwill.

http://www.yourlegalrights.co.uk/consumer/shoppers-rights

While we're on about receipts how many of you know it's unlawful in Great Britain for a shop, or any other business, to refuse you a 'REFUND?' If you purchase something and decide within 14 days that you don't want it, so long as you haven't used whatever you purchased you are allowed to take it back and ask for your payment to be refunded. If the business owner, or their manager, or assistant refuses to give you a refund 'THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW'. Report them immediately.

You're 100% wrong.

=/

Shops don't have to give you a refund just because you don't like something, if you bought it in the shop.

Wish people would stop talking about stuff they don't know about because I work in a shop and it's very unhelpful when people come in thinking they know their rights and kicking off when in fact they're totally wrong.

Without looking it up in law books I'm not sure whether or not a business (e.g. shop) has to issue a receipt. Personally, I imagine they have to incase you need to return a faulty 'whatever you've purchased' back to the shop. Without a receipt you have no proof you bought the 'goods' from that shop.

Try getting a refund out of SPORTS DIRECT no chance "it's store policy to not give refunds"

Try getting a refund out of SPORTS DIRECT no chance "it's store policy to not give refunds"

Shops are under no legal obligation to refund unfaulty goods bought in store.

Most shops offer a refund/exchange within 14/28 days as a gesture of goodwill to the customer but do not have to offer this by law and are perfectly within their rights to refuse to refund items which are okay.

I personally would refund something even long after 28 days if it was okay and we still stocked the item and my manager weren't around to see it, I can't stand jobsworths when there's no reason to be.

Just gets annoying when people start throwing things like "You have to by law" around, if you don't know the law...don't try and teach me it.

If you really want the correct answer ring trading standards.

:( Went in a shop today a general store in S13 An lady A>O>P in front of me bought several items and put them on the counter to pay. The assistant punched the items in the till and said 20 pounds 60 pence. No its not said the O.A.P check it. The cashier got a calculator out and put items in that and said 12 pounds 20 pence. No apology given. This shop never gives anybody receipt . Are they supposed to. Next person in queue had there items put through till no problems I think all shops should be made to give a receipt by law so siblings can check the receipt for vunerable people :help::help::help:

Shops are under no legal obligation to refund unfaulty goods bought in store.

Most shops offer a refund/exchange within 14/28 days as a gesture of goodwill to the customer but do not have to offer this by law and are perfectly within their rights to refuse to refund items which are okay.

I personally would refund something even long after 28 days if it was okay and we still stocked the item and my manager weren't around to see it, I can't stand jobsworths when there's no reason to be.

Just gets annoying when people start throwing things like "You have to by law" around, if you don't know the law...don't try and teach me it.

I bought a t-shirt that was xl but after getting it home realised it wouldn't fit a 13 year old took it back less that one hour after purchase NO REFUNDS :confused:

Used to go to a shop in Barnsley who charged you a pound if you wanted a receipt to claim back money from your firm----on another point slightly related, how many people get a statement every year from their bank/BS, I know Cheshire BS dont

I get a statement every month

I bought a t-shirt that was xl but after getting it home realised it wouldn't fit a 13 year old took it back less that one hour after purchase NO REFUNDS :confused:

Yeah that is a harsh policy, but if people are going to start kicking off all the time trying unreasonable refunds, then blanket policies like this are going to become more common.

I mean Sports Direct is quite a chavy shop so I can only assume they made this policy due to the amount of unreasonable refunds requested, and honest people like you have to suffer for it.

At the end of the day, most of the times, refunds are goodwill. If customers aren't sure if the size will fit, they should always check the returns policy, that's common sense. And if they don't like the fact that Sports Direct has no goodwill, they should shop somewhere else.

But yeah it is a harsh policy.

Archived