Do shops have to give a receipt

spider1

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Exceptions:

Fresh food and flowers (for obvious reasons of decay!), personalised goods, accommodation, transport, newspapers and magazines, sealed audio, video or computer software that has been opened or a service that has already started, can't be cancelled.

That quote looks as though it is with regard to refunds under distance selling regulations though (mail order, internet). The whole thing about unwanted goods is different there than in a shop (and the post by Brian Hanson was completely wrong and probably a wind-up anyway).

Why's that..just because you don't get a bit of paper in your hand doesn't mean the transaction hasn't been recorded..? Or does it? Sometimes the "Pay at pump" petrol stations don't issue receipts (maybe the printer is faulty or run out of paer)..do you think they're all on the fiddle?

You are placing a negative inference on my words Fred.The returns are likely to be inaccurate and may result in excess tax being levied.What is this "on the fiddle" business?

Quite right. Folk must be extra careful when paying by card as some unscrupulous establishments have been known to take cashback without the card holders consent!

In summary: Anyone not insistent on a receipt of any financial transaction in this day and age is clearly a fool. :)

Exactly-the tendering of a receipt is an act of courtesy and is now eroded by the coarseness of many business transactions.Failure to issue is a slight and an oversight.

Exactly-the tendering of a receipt is an act of courtesy and is now eroded by the coarseness of many business transactions.Failure to issue is a slight and an oversight.

Not giving me a receipt is an act of courtesy most of the time. It saves me the effort of throwing said receipt in the dustbin.

So i buy some frozen food, keep it 10 days, not under refrigeration, I can legally insist on a refund, or I can buy a product with a few days shelf life, keep it beyond this and legally demand a refund, surely not. where is this law quoted?

In case you did not realise frozen food must be kept in a freezer-perhaps you best stick to tins for now!

Do shops have to put a sign up saying that some goods are out of date or on the shelf letting you no whats out of date ? I have been in jack fultons in crookes and in town and most of the time, i find things like chrisp, pop, cereals and chocolate out of date by a month or two.

Archived