Should cycle riders stay in single file?

with the average speed discussion in mind i reset my trip computer last-night at the 50mph point of the parkway before I drove round the city's ring home.

my average speed was around the 15mph mark until I hit a major blockage around St Mary's road before bramal Lane. because of this I slowed to 11mph average but this did increase to 12mph by the time I arrived home.

after thinking about this, the whole issue of average speed is a bit of a dead herring. when I was not in a stationary queue I was traveling faster than a cyclist, but while I was stationary cycles could easily pass me and other cars. cyclists don't have problems passing stationary vehicles. the problem is vehicles passing slow moving cyclists on the hills of sheffield.

with the average speed discussion in mind i reset my trip computer last-night at the 50mph point of the parkway before I drove round the city's ring home.

my average speed was around the 15mph mark until I hit a major blockage around St Mary's road before bramal Lane. because of this I slowed to 11mph average but this did increase to 12mph by the time I arrived home.

after thinking about this, the whole issue of average speed is a bit of a dead herring. when I was not in a stationary queue I was traveling faster than a cyclist, but while I was stationary cycles could easily pass me and other cars. cyclists don't have problems passing stationary vehicles. the problem is vehicles passing slow moving cyclists on the hills of sheffield.

Agreed, but people on this thread seem to think that's the cyclists' problem.

Agreed, but people on this thread seem to think that's the cyclists' problem.

well it can be seen that way. if a cyclists knows he or she is holding up traffic the highway code states they should allow the traffic to pass them.

cyclists who refuse to allow traffic to pass are arrogant prats and this is why car drivers get annoyed with them, and rightly so!

well it can be seen that way. if a cyclists knows he or she is holding up traffic the highway code states they should allow the traffic to pass them.

cyclists who refuse to allow traffic to pass are arrogant prats and this is why car drivers get annoyed with them, and rightly so!

Is this really a major issue or a 'Dead Herring', as you put it?

During many years of travelling the roads of Sheffield, usually commuting in the morning and evening. I can't even recall the last time i've seen a cyclist hold up other road users in any meaningful way.

Road rage is never a good idea. Motorists who expect a cyclist to deliberately lose their momentum when travelling up a hill are also arrogant prats

During many years of travelling the roads of Sheffield, usually commuting in the morning and evening. I can't even recall the last time i've seen a cyclist hold up other road users in any meaningful way.

Whereas, being held up by cars vans and lorries happens on pretty much every journey by bicycle.

The one I quoted.

You know. The claim that nobody ever made, which you were busy disputing.

That's what straw manning is, when you pretend that someone has said something they didn't and then proceed to argue about how it's not true.

You're really over-analysing things..never meant as an argument..just an observation.... :)

Hills like Walkley Lane, which I cycle up occasionally. I've never seen a car struggle to pass me, or a bus for that matter.

Was there an example of a road where you might be held up significantly by a cycle? And by significantly I mean in a way that actually impacts your overall journey time, rather than impacts how long it is until you reach the next point...

That's why average speed is important, I've quite regularly been overtaken by cars on Infirmary road (without holding them up as far as I can tell) and then passed them later on as they queue towards Hillsborough. If I had delayed them by 20 seconds around the Primrose view tram stop for example, it would have absolutely no affect on their overall journey time.

And as a driver I won't try to pass a cyclist who is going through a tram stop, this might slow me down for 10 seconds, but I'm pretty sure it has no impact on my overall journey time.

Archived