Should cycle riders stay in single file?

tbh I daren't drive in London let alone cycle! but this does highlight a larger that our roads are over crowded and cyclists suffer because of it.

I commuted 7 miles a day each way in London for ten years. The problem isn't crowded roads, it's inattentive drivers:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-ghost-bike-revolt-families-demand-action-on-cyclist-deaths-6348784.html

The number of cyclists killed and seriously injured on Britain's roads has risen by 8 per cent compared to last year despite improvements in injury rates for all other road users.

Families of the cyclists killed in crashes accused politicians of "not listening" as they prepared to join cyclists in central London on Sunday as part of a campaign to improve road safety.

Newspapers, now including The Times as well as The Independent and the Evening Standard, have added weight to demands for legislation that would require lorries to fit safety devices, and improve the layout of increasingly crowded roads. Kate Cairns, whose sister Eilidh was killed by a lorry driver in London in 2009, accused politicians of "complacency". She said: "There is an implicit idea that there are accidents, that they are unavoidable. But these are not accidents."

I commuted 7 miles a day each way in London for ten years. The problem isn't crowded roads, it's inattentive drivers:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-ghost-bike-revolt-families-demand-action-on-cyclist-deaths-6348784.html

the roads in London haven't changed much in hundreds of years, while traffic has increased probably in the 1000's of percent.

When you find out that someone rides, these are pretty much the first two questions one cyclist would say to the other. Particularly on Sheffield's roads, so it's not an unreasonable question, asked on a casual basis.

Then the discussion usually goes onto the various merits of 700 V 26s. Then, if you want to get more involved, and there is interest, the qualities of discs versus cantilever/side pull/dual pivot usually crop up. It's what riders tend to do. Obviously not everyone's fussed.

There's a difference between serious riders (which you sound like) and those that use a bike to commute, and maybe do a bit of off road when invited by friends.

I commuted for 6 months to the city centre, it's a 2nd hand mountain bike from Langsett cycles that cost £90, I've no idea what tyres it has, what ratio's it has or very much else about it. I can tell you that it has no suspension (ideal for road riding) and that it's purple.

I have two mates who would probably love all the conversation about tyres, ratio's, brakes, brands, frames and all the rest. When they took me into the peak district I had to borrow a £1000 bike from one of them, they seemed happy enough with that and I didn't bin it, so it's all good.

Id say its 100% of drivers.

There is no way I could honesty say Ive never once exceeded a speed limit while driving.

I think I could say that for short journeys, particularly in heavy traffic. But most days I've probably hit 33mph within a mile or two of leaving home. Such a bad lad.

I'd estimate that I'm far more law abiding on my bike as I'm incapable of hitting that speed unless I fall off a cliff and apart from using the pavement to go around a one way section I obey the rest of the law.

the roads in London haven't changed much in hundreds of years, while traffic has increased probably in the 1000's of percent.

In London there has been a 91% increase in bicycling on the capital's main roads since 2000, and a 33% reduction in bicyclist casualties in roughly the same period. More cyclists = safer roads. You are as likely to win the lottery as be killed whilst cycling.

That said, the articles above highlight the stupidity of the politicians who don't realise that cyclists are usually young, have a high disposable income, and a vote.

Roads Minister, Mike Penning, faced criticism over comments he made to the House of Commons Transport Committee, suggesting that cyclists running red lights were responsible for deaths and injuries. He said last week: "It would help save a lot of cyclists' lives and stop a lot of serious injuries if so many of you didn't go through a red light... Now that's not saying that we should make them all criminals and all pariahs and there are motorcycles that go through but it is so bloody dangerous."

Mike Penning is an idiot. A cyclist is more likely to be killed by a car jumping a red light than be killed or kill whilst jumping a red. I can forgive uninformed twaddle on the internet, it's worrying when a Transport Minister makes the same mistakes.

There's a difference between serious riders (which you sound like) and those that use a bike to commute, and maybe do a bit of off road when invited by friends.

I commuted for 6 months to the city centre, it's a 2nd hand mountain bike from Langsett cycles that cost £90, I've no idea what tyres it has, what ratio's it has or very much else about it. I can tell you that it has no suspension (ideal for road riding) and that it's purple.

I have two mates who would probably love all the conversation about tyres, ratio's, brakes, brands, frames and all the rest. When they took me into the peak district I had to borrow a £1000 bike from one of them, they seemed happy enough with that and I didn't bin it, so it's all good.

Will they lend me one? :D

Don't get me wrong, I like talking about cycling to my interested fellow riders that I know, but I'm not a tech wizz. I know a reasonable amount, but, for example, have no idea how to work out gear inches!

As you say, it's all good! :)

I learned to ride a bike as a kid, like most of us. My mother was fierce if she ever heard my brother or I had been riding crazy, cos the neighbours would rat on you in a minute, and she'd threaten to take a hammer to your bike. Eventually I graduated to an Ariel 350, much to my Mom's disgust and then a Norton. Eventually I graduated to a car because my wife got pregnant, and no more pillion for her. From my experiences on both bicycle and motor cycle, I was more aware of the effect of road conditions can have on two wheel vehicles, and became a better driver for it. I have never caused a wreck even though I have been in a couple of very serious ones, one of which cost my wife. Some of the anti bike comments on here border on the ridiculous, but I'm glad to see plenty of support for riders as well, allez!

A free tax disc. Why would anyone care if they were all given one, they could be like flyers, you just pick one up if you fancy it. Completely pointless though, nothing but a waste of money.

Most cyclists are of course insured, it's a common misconception amongst the anti-cyclist that they aren't.

They are of course unlikely to cause significant injury or damage as well, so insurance isn't compulsory for that reason.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/719063-cyclist-is-jailed-for-killing-by-1861-law

Archived