Should cycle riders stay in single file?

That is a great adventure you had.

Lucky the the car picked you up.

Dont do it again, by the way.

Your risk assessment should have told you not to attempt it.

I was in my early 20s at the time, in a new job and thought I had a duty to get to work one way or another. I made it there by bike and was pretty annoyed that my car driving colleagues were too lazy to turn up.

Sure I was glad of the Peak district ranger in the 4x4 pick-up on the way home, but if he hadn't turned up Id have just carried on walking to Moscar top and cycled the rest home.

Worlds gone soft these days.

I was in my early 20s at the time, in a new job and thought I had a duty to get to work one way or another. I made it there by bike and was pretty annoyed that my car driving colleagues were too lazy to turn up.

Sure I was glad of the Peak district ranger in the 4x4 pick-up on the way home, but if he hadn't turned up Id have just carried on walking to Moscar top and cycled the rest home.

Worlds gone soft these days.

Agree people are too soft these days in over 30 years I never failed to get to work due to the weather I often used to cycle or walk to work even during sub zero temperatures in the winter.

When I worked in Rotherham I walked home when we had the floods over 10 miles was a great experience seeing everything that was going on.

Used to make me laugh when people a couple of miles away would phone in because they could not get in.

Agree people are too soft these days in over 30 years I never failed to get to work due to the weather I often used to cycle or walk to work even during sub zero temperatures in the winter.

When I worked in Rotherham I walked home when we had the floods over 10 miles was a great experience seeing everything that was going on.

Used to make me laugh when people a couple of miles away would phone in because they could not get in.

Luxury!!

When I war a lad, we had get up half an hour befoor we went to bed.

Lick street cleaan wit tongue.

An we thought we were well off!! (with apologies to Monty Python)

FYI, cyclist in front of me this morning on Moorfields sailed through two sets of red traffic lights without a care in the world.

I stand by my earlier assertion that approx 50% of cyclists break the law on a daily basis and they do this without any means of being identified or prosecuted.

one rule for them and one rule for everyone else who uses the roads it would seem.

FYI, cyclist in front of me this morning on Moorfields sailed through two sets of red traffic lights without a care in the world.

I stand by my earlier assertion that approx 50% of cyclists break the law on a daily basis and they do this without any means of being identified or prosecuted.

one rule for them and one rule for everyone else who uses the roads it would seem.

You were partially basing this on your ignorance of the law regarding helmets though.

I still stand by the estimate that 90% of drivers break the law.

You'll no doubt claim that speeding is less important than running red lights though, that was how you countered this point previously.

Some cyclists run red lights, I dislike that and I've shouted at them before (when on my bike) and blown my horn (when in my car). They shouldn't do it for several reasons, one of which is that it gives an ignorant minority ammunition for anti cyclist rants.

You were partially basing this on your ignorance of the law regarding helmets though.

I still stand by the estimate that 90% of drivers break the law.

You'll no doubt claim that speeding is less important than running red lights though, that was how you countered this point previously.

Some cyclists run red lights, I dislike that and I've shouted at them before (when on my bike) and blown my horn (when in my car). They shouldn't do it for several reasons, one of which is that it gives an ignorant minority ammunition for anti cyclist rants.

Another being that they might be hit by a car going the other way through the junction at an inappropriate speed ;)

So, based on the actions of 1 cyclist you slag off 50% of all cyclists?

Our road systems and the way we control traffic is designed around motor vehicles. This frequently results in junctions that are less safe for cyclists and situations where obeying the 'rules of the road' is more risky than breaking them. This is an unpopular view with motorists and with many cyclists, but studies such as http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/repor ... auses_.htm confirm what many experienced cyclists have observed: Only a tiny proportion of accidents involving cyclists are caused by riders jumping red lights or stop signs.

A thousand people a YEAR are killed by speeding motorists.

You're barking up the wrong tree wex.

Another being that they might be hit by a car going the other way through the junction at an inappropriate speed ;)

Or even going at an appropriate speed, since it's impossible to travel if you have to assume that every other vehicle is about to do something extremely stupid (for example you'd have to stop if there was oncoming traffic as it might veer into you).

I did say many reasons though, I just didn't detail them all.

Archived