Should cycle riders stay in single file?

Horse users don't pay road tax and they are a lot slower than cyclists so why not just drive them off the road as well???

Also, pedestrians don't pay road tax but they still walk across the roads!

You're forgetting an important thing, if i stop cycling, got off my bike, and walked across the road you would pull up! Why not if i'm sat on the bike?

horses ride in single file and thats the rule.

crossing the road is not the same as using the road though is it.

Police horses don't ride in single file and police motor bikes don't.

Before you go any further read the highway code on cyclists riding 2 abreast.

We are not breaking any laws, we are within the law.

Well as long as the law says it right to ride 2 or more abreast on a single carriage road I guess that's fine then.

When large groups of cyclist travel together (10+?) the safest way to travel both for them and anybody overtaking them, is in one group. This is called a peloton. This is recognised all over Europe but apparently not here.

Groups of this size are usually fast moving (30mph +) road racers in training. Passing a group that take up the footprint of a tractor and trailer say travelling at 30 is far easier and safer than trying to overtake 10+ cyclists strung out along a road. Travelling at that speed they need at least a bike length between each other so when you pull out to overtake the back one, you need to cover 50-60 yds min before you can pull in again.

So, if you misjudge your move (drivers, just like cyclists are not all infallible) what are you going to do? Hit the vehicle coming the other way head on, or squeeze the cyclist out and force him into the gutter/wall hoping you don't kill him?

I think we all know the answer to that one. That is why cyclists travel that way, they don't do it to **** you off.

I realise that this is not intuitive to the vast majority of drivers as they have never experienced what it is like to be threatened by a ton of metal travelling inches from your elbow at 40mph, accelerating hard to get past you.

A more interesting question is why do so many drivers save their bitterest vitriol for cyclists?

How come they don't eff and jeff at the long line of cars that hold them up for far far longer on their commute? I think it is just something about cyclists that bring out the sociopath in some drivers. They see cyclists as lower down the fiscal food chain and some how below them.

Police horses don't ride in single file and police motor bikes don't.

Before you go any further read the highway code on cyclists riding 2 abreast.

We are not breaking any laws, we are within the law.

Police cars also park on double yellow lines but that doesnt mean you can. in regards to riding two abreast, I suggest you also read the highway code:

66 - You should: never ride more than two abreast, and
ride in single file on narrow or busy roads
and when riding
round bends

As Sheffield is a city, the roads are almost always busy, and are ful of bends, you should never really be riding two abreast on our roads.

I cycle... A lot and I also drive a lot,

I have my own views on this and they are that cyclists should fall into dingle file, unless racing when cars que up behind... There's no reason not to!!

Secondly I feel that the cycle lanes are ridiculous I cant even count the number of times when a drain grate spans the entire lane forcing the cyclist to leave the cycle lane, which drivers expect us to be in causing them to beep etc.. But would they rather cyclists drive over the grates and fly off their bikes and into the roads? I and many other cyclists I pride with share these views and I personally feel people need to be more considerate on a whole!

Cyclists get some stick, but comparing them to Barnsley folk is taking it too far :rant:

:hihi:

Animosity from motorists towards cyclist's, apart from anecdotal evidence of not adhering to the rules of the road, seems to be based on the false primise that cyclists are exempt from paying the non existant "road tax". :loopy:

the road tax question is secondary in my view. the majority of people I know who have any animosity towards cyclists is based on cyclists thinking the rules of the road do not apply to them.

I actually wish there were more cycle paths, so that as a cyclists I can feel safe, as a car driver I don't have to worry so much about cyclists undercutting, over taking and generally buzzing around cars, and as a pedestrian I don't have to dodge idiot cyclists running through red lights and using the footpaths.

Police cars also park on double yellow lines but that doesnt mean you can. in regards to riding two abreast, I suggest you also read the highway code:

66 - You should: never ride more than two abreast, and
ride in single file on narrow or busy roads
and when riding
round bends

As Sheffield is a city, the roads are almost always busy, and are ful of bends, you should never really be riding two abreast on our roads.

If two women are riding in single file that is still 2 abreast! LOL!

Archived