Should cycle riders stay in single file?

Cyclist aren't required by law to ride single file, but are advised too. I think it's really dangerous when they don't. I was driving through the peak district a couple of weekends ago and there was a group of about 50 riding 3 a brest. Literally no safe place to overtake for miles (until they actually turned off) and made trying to overtake impossible. I think generally common sense is needed. It's not always the same (most cyclist are on their own) but when riding with friends or in groups it would make sense not to make it so dangerous by splitting up a bit and riding single file.

Cyclist aren't required by law to ride single file, but are advised too. I think it's really dangerous when they don't. I was driving through the peak district a couple of weekends ago and there was a group of about 50 riding 3 a brest. Literally no safe place to overtake for miles (until they actually turned off) and made trying to overtake impossible. I think generally common sense is needed. It's not always the same (most cyclist are on their own) but when riding with friends or in groups it would make sense not to make it so dangerous by splitting up a bit and riding single file.

How many miles?

So if they've been in single file, do you believe you could safely overtake 50 cyclists... I doubt it could be done without forcing your way into them.

They aren't advised to ride in single file anyway, that advice applies to narrow or busy roads specifically.

So if they've been in single file, do you believe you could safely overtake 50 cyclists... I doubt it could be done without forcing your way into them.

They aren't advised to ride in single file anyway, that advice applies to narrow or busy roads specifically.

Exactly, and there are plenty of narrow and busy roads in the Peaks! If you read my original post I also mentioned splitting up so they left gaps, therefore cars users could overtake them safely and not all at once, 3 a brest.

My friends and i have rode single file and in my impression we still get abuse, dangerous over taking and general disregard for what is a human being on a bicycle. So when large groups of cyclists get together they have strength and safety in numbers. It is wrong to ride 3 abreast and i have never done this and would not condone it. I am afraid it is the very few cyclists, car and motorbike riders that create an escalating problem where there is disrespect amongst us all. I think care, patience and general good behaviour would help all road users.

My friends and i have rode single file and in my impression we still get abuse, dangerous over taking and general disregard for what is a human being on a bicycle. So when large groups of cyclists get together they have strength and safety in numbers. It is wrong to ride 3 abreast and i have never done this and would not condone it. I am afraid it is the very few cyclists, car and motorbike riders that create an escalating problem where there is disrespect amongst us all. I think care, patience and general good behaviour would help all road users.

I completely agree with you it's not all of them and yes that is what is needed to make sure it's safer for both cars an cyclists.

In that situation, how do you think it would go if car drivers attempted to overtake 50 cyclists, whether they're in a pack, or in single file?

I suspect that, on those roads, there was no 'safe place' to overtake, full stop. That happens on country lanes- if there's a tractor in front, there's often no safe place to overtake for several miles.

When you figure in that minority of car drivers who, through idiocy, will attempt to overtake even if it's not safe (presumably thinking that, as they're in a metal box, any collisions won't result in harm to them) and it's clear that, for cyclists riding in a large pack, single file is potentially suicidal.

The fact is that there are many scenarios where car drivers have to accept that they will just have to wait until it's safe before overtaking, whether that's cos there's a tram/tractor/horse/cycle pack in front of them, or, the much more common example of a gridlocked road due to large numbers of cars.

Reflect also on the fact that the biggest single cause of having to drive slowly is the excessive numbers of cars on the roads, and, every cyclist in front of you is actually doing you a big favour by not themselves being in a car.

Literally no safe place to overtake for miles (until they actually turned off) and made trying to overtake impossible. I think generally common sense is needed.
Fully agree, but I think you've got the situation the wrong way round - common sense would be that you need to wait until it is safe to overtake the other legitimate road users.

Archived