Should cycle riders stay in single file?

• 2 weeks later...

im sure the highway code allows riders to cycle two abreast, dave. this really does make it hard to overtake them safely, but there dosent seem to be too many riders doing it. the worst offenders are the riders who look to be out training, with all the kit on. they sometimes seem to wander around too much and could cause an accident.

cant we all try to be considerate towards eachother for once, to pass a cyclist safely, you almost always have to pass to the other side of the road, and therefore have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic, im not convinced that passing two abreast makes much difference.

I do think that we should stop building cycle paths though

cant we all try to be considerate towards eachother for once, to pass a cyclist safely, you almost always have to pass to the other side of the road, and therefore have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic, im not convinced that passing two abreast makes much difference.

I do think that we should stop building cycle paths though

well put. ive read a lot of these types of conversations and there does seem to be some bad blood on both sides. it seems that its a very touchy subject, but it need not be. most of us give way to these lads and most of these lads seem to ride safely but there will always be good and bad in everyone, its just a shame some cannot see this.

We need a system where cyclists are segregated for motor traffic as they have in Denmark and Holland. Cycles and vehicles are two totally different forms of transport and they don't mix well.

But while cyclists share roads with vehicles they should cycle in single file as a matter of courtesy. Horse riders are very good at obeying that rule and get greater respect from vehicle drivers for that reason. Cyclists who ride two or three abreast with a queue of traffic behind them are just plain rude.

I was held up by a cyclist yesterday, it's so rare that I remembered it. On South Road, must have delayed me for well over 10 seconds.

And then on Queens Road I saw a motorist run a red light, potentially into oncoming traffic (down at the bottom towards Heeley, heading out of town) where the right hand lane is right turn only and the lane he went into can run in either direction, but happened to have a big red cross in it for him.

But while cyclists share roads with vehicles they should cycle in single file as a matter of courtesy. Horse riders are very good at obeying that rule and get greater respect from vehicle drivers for that reason. Cyclists who ride two or three abreast with a queue of traffic behind them are just plain rude.

This is very true (in most cases) but there are still motorists that show no mercy on this score also.

The thing with a horse is that isn't so yielding when you hit it and the amount of damage it can cause to our shiny tin boxes is far greater than that of a pushbike.

I give way and allow space for these beasts the same as I would do a cyclist but I do have one issue and that is that I quite often witness a lack of concern for other road users by vehicles whose bumbers are adorned with a large sticker asking that I drive courteously as I pass the aforementioned.

They should have to take a test the same as motorists have isurance and pay road tax.

Roads are busy enough without having unqualified numpties on bikes loose on them.

So you think the cyclists should take a driving test-would this be in a car?Now who is a numpty?

Archived